Fly Fusion Forums

Flyline

dennyd

I've fished the 6wt Ridgeline tactical trout and just put a Ridgeline tactical trout with the new supple coating on my 5wt. I really like it. Because the ridge technology puts less surface area on your guides, it reduces friction and allows the line to shoot faster/smoother. While the old coating produced very little memory, the new supple coating reduces it to next to nothing. While memory has never been an issue for me during the summer, it often becomes a challenge for me in the winter. Not so with this line!

Also, it lasts like the energizer bunny. I only got about 100 or so days out of my GPX before I had to toss it due to cracks, etc. Not so with the ridgeline. They also have a pretty good warranty against cracks, etc.

I have a couple of the older ones and a couple of the newer ones in 4,5,6 weight.

I particularily like how they sit so high on the water when fishing lakes.

I'm not sure about the other types but Aaron weighed my 6wt distance taper and it is quite heavy, closer to 7wt than 6.

BK

I haven't noticed the ridge running lines getting any dirtier than my other lines. A quick dip in some warm water and Ivory dish soap followed by a pass through a clean cloth will take care of it.

Considering the Tactical Trout for dry fly fishing this summer myself. Airflo is pretty quickly becoming my favourite fly line company.

I've got the 6 wt ridgeline polyfuse xt and it is now going into it's third season. No cracks yet. Haven't noticed it getting any dirtier than any other line I have owned. The end will sink like any other line I've owned, but when cleaned it will be good as new.

Bottom line: comes with a 28 day satisfaction guarantee plus a 5 year no crack warranty...where is the risk?

Hey Journeymancarpenter...

Try unspooling a few feet off the end of your line and hanging it end down in a warm place. let it dry out for a couple of days then coat the tip (whatever knot you use to tie on your leader) with knot sense. if the end of your line is sinking, it's either dirty or wicking water up the inside of the line.

BK

Hey Journeymancarpenter...

Try unspooling a few feet off the end of your line and hanging it end down in a warm place. let it dry out for a couple of days then coat the tip (whatever knot you use to tie on your leader) with knot sense. if the end of your line is sinking, it's either dirty or wicking water up the inside of the line.

BK

Brunsie,

Thanks for that tip. I bought 2 Cortland 444 WF-F lines last year and the first 3 - 4 feet on both sink like a rock. Tried everything, cleaning, re-tying my nail knot, using a braided loop connector.... both still sink and drag my fly with it. I was just about to chuck both of them and try another brand after many years with Cortland. I'll give this a try first.

Thanks

Adams

Thanks for that tip. I bought 2 Cortland 444 WF-F lines last year and the first 3 - 4 feet on both sink like a rock. Tried everything, cleaning, re-tying my nail knot, using a braided loop connector.... both still sink and drag my fly with it. I was just about to chuck both of them and try another brand after many years with Cortland. I'll give this a try first.

If you only bought those lines last year then I would box them up and ship them to Cortland with a note explaining the situation. I've always had excellent service from those guys and have had lines replaced for nothing. (when warranted of course)