Fly Fusion Forums

Replacement Windshield Wipers

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

Anyone have a strong opinion on what brand of after market wipers work best? I have a toyota sienna but usually any brand has versions for different vehicles.

Cheers

Sun

had a bad experience with these wipers when they get in the longer lengths. Got a mini van myself and with a 28" blade (figuring you'll need something this long) lifting became a problem at highway speed, also the spring action wasn't enough at the ends on the blade (wiper only cleaner in way of the wiper arn connection), also had the wipers its self become detached from the arm clip (a factor connection) when starting wipers when frozen.

Nothing good to say for a set of wipers that cost me over $60.

I find you need a heavy set of steel blades (winter or summer) when you get into the longer length on vans.

I usually have 2 sets of wipers (or replace every season, i.e. summer & winter). I find since I do that, I can go with a "relatively" inexpensive pair (but not super cheapo/cheeso). Walmart has pretty good wipers for the price as are Crappytire's mid range. I have found that wipers (high end) still only last about 6 months (b/c of the pits in the windshield) so in my "opinion" go with mid priced/quality and replace after about 6 months...

Just my $0.02.

P

I've tried most of the new "gadget" blades over the years and I keep going back to the old Canadian Tire metal cheapee. About $6/blade and I find they stand up just as well and do just as good a job.

Adams

Yep, in the same boat here. The cheapies actually last alot longer than anything else out there. Clean them once in a while with a bit of alcohol and a rag.

We use trico's on our fleet vehicles - seem to hold up fine

If your wipers are lifting avoid the "clip on fin" gadgets - if anything, the clip on springs that mount at the base will work but if you use them, you need a heavier duty wiper to go with them or else the spring will flatten the wiper out.

It might not be too expensive to replace the wiper frame - that is the logical thing to do as it is likely fatigue of that spring within that is causing your problems - I'm not sure, but I wonder if some manufacturers have the spring available separately - never had the problem myself but I would start by making sure the OEM parts are working right first

Guest Sundancefisher
We use trico's on our fleet vehicles - seem to hold up fine

If your wipers are lifting avoid the "clip on fin" gadgets - if anything, the clip on springs that mount at the base will work but if you use them, you need a heavier duty wiper to go with them or else the spring will flatten the wiper out.

It might not be too expensive to replace the wiper frame - that is the logical thing to do as it is likely fatigue of that spring within that is causing your problems - I'm not sure, but I wonder if some manufacturers have the spring available separately - never had the problem myself but I would start by making sure the OEM parts are working right first

I agree. Factory parts like tire seem to be of lesser importance and a way to boost profit an additional $5. As such I am just thinking of replacing the whole unit as it is 4 years old now. That being said I maybe should replace the window. There are a few cracks and maybe there is additional wear on the rubber that way. Still...we are currently in the main rock chip season.