Fly Fusion Forums

The Lines Bought In Vain Club

Guys,

Got Cortland 444's from 2>9 wt. floaters. I like 'em. Worst ever line was a Cortland 555 - broke 2 - sent them back and got 444's and never looked back. Got sinkers from various companies though. SA, Teeny, Cortland, Shakespeare & Rio. Bought a Rio Classic that I'm going to try this spring.

catch ya'

Don

For the single hand rod, the only sink tip i've enjoyed are the teeny lines- I really enjoy throwing big nasties (intruders, etc) tied off a T-300. Beautiful line, really sails with a couple of big hauls. I like the feel of it when you can tick along bottom, big mend and stear that thing right through a run. I like the castability much better than even say a T-200.

I have the Windcutter 4/5 on my switch rod. It seems like a decent line; however, I bought it because the Rio site recommended it as the line to match my rod, but, it was way too heavy. Long story short, it cost 90 bucks or something and it's only been used a few times. I'm thinking of shortening up the head as you suggested after casting it last summer, Max. I've also talked to other guys with this rod and think I know what I need to get.

The line I really wish I hadn't bought was a 6 weight sharkskin. I'm waiting for the thing to die so I have an excuse to try something else. To it's credit it's still functional after 2 seasons on the Bow, 60+ days. It's just, in my opinion, over priced, loud and picks up dirt... and I wish I had of got the nymph taper but they weren't out at the time. To it's credit, the regular one did work well for nymph fishing. I bet the lighter Sharkskins would be great dry fly lines.

Have always sworn by Cortland 444 F, but the 2 I bought last year both have the same problem, the last 4 - 5 feet sinks big time. Have tried everything to fix this but no go. May have to try something new next year.

Adams

remeber too hang your fly lines.. 10 feet or so from the rafters in your basement... by some heat.. but not too hot.. i find it helps seap out the water soaked into the core and u dont halfto chop off some of your taper if you give it a good week or two~! then u can seal up a dry core!

I've had a lot of trouble with the front portion of SA lines sinking under when I'm nymphing. However I think I've finally figured out that it has to do with the taper.

Most guys I've talked to that use SA lines and DON'T have this problem are using the GPX taper, versus the trout taper. A few guys also recommended that I get a good pike line for nymphing.