Fly Fusion Forums

Team Canada

I take back what I said about the women not choking. Bernard given two easy shots to win and misses the broom both times. I curl once a year and I could have made that takeout in the 10th.

I somehow don't think Martin will have the same problems - he is just too much in the groove.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take back what I said about the women not choking. Bernard given two easy shots to win and misses the broom both times. I curl once a year and I could have made that takeout in the 10th.

I somehow don't think Martin will have the same problems - he is just too much in the groove.

Damn, now we find out we should have sent you to skip our team!

You guys are having another good day. Good thing there are Canadian Women and a bunch of French guys to get your medal count up.

And in defence of your female curlers: Bernard kept them in it the whole game, and through the tournament. Playing a multi world and olympic champion. No shame in losing. And I couldn't have made either shots.

Damn, now we find out we should have sent you to skip our team!

A very Canadian response. Have great difficulty calling a spade a spade and like to jump on anyone who doesn't. You guys seem to know better, but here is what Reuters has to say about it:

-----

Bernard blunders hand Sweden gold.

VANCOUVER (Reuters) - Canada skip Cheryl Bernard failed to live up to her nickname "last shot," missing two big opportunities to seize victory and handing the Olympic women's curling gold medal to Sweden on Friday.

Swedish skip Anette Norberg suffered a few early miscues but her side fought back to win 7-6 in the extra end after Bernard blew chances in the final two ends to seal a home victory in front of a boisterous crowd.

"We got nervous after the fifth end and we got shaky, and she (Bernard) got shaky in the last two ends," Sweden's Cathrine Lindahl said. "We thought it was over. I'm so happy."

Norberg gave Bernard an absolute gift by screwing up in the 7th for 2 and the 9th for another, or it would have been over early. Anyone who curls knows that Pro Skips make takeouts like the one in the 10th 99 times out of 100.

For Hockey - like I said, I think it all comes down to goaltending. The US has it, Canada does not. Bobby Lu made a great save at the end, but let in an incredibly weak goal to get the Slovaks in it to begin with. The Canadians will be all over the US Sunday, outshoot and outchance them badly, but if Miller plays like he has and Luongo like he has, the score won't reflect the play.

ha ha...more like he's stared down the barrel of that gun before. and he choked.

unfortunate, bernard seemed to come unglued a bit. can't imagine what that pressure does to your head.

ask the men's hockey team what the next 24 hrs will be like.

yikes.

ha ha...more like he's stared down the barrel of that gun before. and he choked.

unfortunate, bernard seemed to come unglued a bit. can't imagine what that pressure does to your head.

ask the men's hockey team what the next 24 hrs will be like.

yikes.

babcock should take them all steelhead fishing today. Keep there minds clear :)

If the USA wins on Sunday, we'll have ban Rickr.

Regards Mike

Ahh, I'll just come back under another name. Not like my writing style would be recognized.

About choking:

Last year Tom Watson stood on the 18th fairway in Scotland and hit a perfect 8 iron. When it came off the face he thought it was a perfect shot and he had just won the US open at 60 yrs old. Unfortunately for him, it was a bit too good. Bounced over the green, he hit a very mediocre chip back up, and missed a what, 6 ft putt? A putt I could have made. At my home course, as long as there was no money on the line. Did he choke? Maybe. But the talent it took to get to that position should mean more than that last putt. If you look at Cheryl when she made the shot in the tenth--after it came off her hand a big smile crossed her face. She thought she had it. She had that moment of knowing she performed under the greatest pressure and thought she had succeeded. Like Watson. And like Watson, once the shot did not react the way she expected, she never recovered. Choke? Maybe. Wish I had the talent to find out if I could have pulled it off.

The problem with the "I could have made that shot" is that the person who makes that statement is NEVER in the position to find out. They weren't good enough to get there in the first place. The people who are good enough would NEVER call out someone for missing because they know damn well it could happen to them. I cannot fathom the pressure on a shot like that. Not like its in the flow of a continuous action game. Standing at the top of a run to a big jump or in the hack, or on the 18th fairway with one shot, knowing if you make it you will have the biggest moment of your life and if you don't, you'll relive the failure for the rest of your life. They have my respect. People can call them chokers if they like. I think they miss the point.

All that said-hope you guys choke Sunday!!

Ya. Clearly some of us have no idea what choking is. Far too many people confuse choking for "I simply lost the game", or even "I didn't play well". Not playing well does not automatically assume the choking part.

Choking is Jean Van de Velde at the British Open. Its Greg Norman at the Masters. Ivan Lendl losing to Michel Chan (bad leg). The American basketball team losing to Argentina. You could even argue Team Canada finishing 7th at Turin.

But Bernard? After she consistently bailed out her team game after game all week. Taking the totality of her play? Nope. Oh, btw, she won a medal.

And Reh, there is no way in hell you could have made that shot. But you know that, right. Course, I could be all wrong; more experts here than I about choking. After all, you've watched the Flames do it in the 1st round these past years. <--poke--<

Her real problem was the 10th end. Didn't have to play the shot she did. Could have just tapped the yellow stone back, so her shooter would have stuck around. Would have left Annette with a near impossible shot (nearly impossible to score 2, 1 was a gimme).

But Hindsight is 40/20 yes?

Anyways, about Team Canada. Last night was fairly predictable. They blew a lot of emotional steam coming out so damn hard against the Russians. And the Slovaks were much more committed to defence.

As far as the gold medal game, we better score the first 2+ goals, because its highly likely we will get out-played in net. Luongo made some good saves, but that first goal was greasy.

I think we win Sunday is the forwards that have scored 18 goals in 3 games who up, and Luongo protects our psyche. But who knows? That's why the movie is called "Any Given Sunday."

Smitty

rickr

All that said-hope you guys choke Sunday!!

i was starting to like you , now i know i hate you , i hope you choke on your eggs sunday morning , <--poke--<

only joking of course , just make sure you have a box of klenex to wipe your tears away sunday ricky

i have faith in the boys , i think last time we was both in a gold game , was on your home turf , and i seem to remember usa blowing it , what makes you so sure they won't again

and rickr any chance you'd put a nice bottle of crown on the final gold medal game in a friendly bet , say a 26 or 40 , my bottle is getting a wee bit low and i'll be home next week , would be nice to swing by and pick up one from ya

Well, assuming you guys get by Germany (a big assumption), you get the Russians. Good luck with that.

On the plus side, your Ice Dancers are in first place. You guys seem pretty good at that. Your ladies speed skaters are pretty good too. You should be pretty happy with your Olympic performance overall, just behind Norway and tied with Korea. Nice job. Just think what it would have been like if you hadn't owned the podium.

I don't really mean all that. But ya gotta admit, it's pretty funny. No? Well, the wound may be a little fresh.

The country that you emigrated has 10x the population, they fund their winter athletes through a crooked deal cut with the IOC with over 10x the money that "our" group gets; yet we have 50% more gold medals... However great work on all those Bronze medals! <--poke--<

rickr you are a true embassador of the country you left with all of the hot air and rhetoric that you spew.. Through your posts it is obvious that you are a true Ameerican!

So remind us all what is funny?

Oh ya, all in good fun, no insult meant, really.

The country that you emigrated has 10x the population, they fund their winter athletes through a crooked deal cut with the IOC with over 10x the money that "our" group gets; yet we have 50% more gold medals... However great work on all those Bronze medals! <--poke--<

rickr you are a true embassador of the country you left with all of the hot air and rhetoric that you spew.. Through your posts it is obvious that you are a true Ameerican!

So remind us all what is funny?

Oh ya, all in good fun, no insult meant, really.

Oh, and I was getting all mad, prepping to spew more rhetoric.

Most Winter Olympic medals all time is Norway. We actually sucked at the winter games until pretty recently. I guess maybe when we cut that crooked deal? If we have 10x the people, shouldn't we get 10x the money? And seriously, your country IS winter, and is in the big picture very, very wealthy. You guys should own these games, and this year are doing pretty well. You should thank all your women and French men.

I could go on and on, but your recent surge in golds (most all time is 13---so if you win Hockey tomorrow you set the record-amazing what spending some money does) gives me a weak rhetorical position. However, look out if we win the hockey game!

rickr

However, look out if we win the hockey game!

i hear ya ricky , your alright and i know you love your team and country deep deep down inside you , the big ? is do you feel love deep enough to put a bottle on the gold medal game , or you just talking some more smack <--poke--<

i'm just trying to bait you in rick

rickr

However, look out if we win the hockey game!

i hear ya ricky , your alright and i know you love your team and country deep deep down inside you , the big ? is do you feel love deep enough to put a bottle on the gold medal game , or you just talking some more smack <--poke--<

i'm just trying to bait you in rick

I'm game. What's the poison?

I'm game. What's the poison?

poison

for myself rick , my taste buds crave crown royal limited edition , 26 or a 40 , i'll leave you to say the size for us , tell me your poison and don't say some $300 dollar bottle of wine or scotch , has to be the same value give or take a few bucks ,

i know you guys from the states have expensive taste in your drinks , but lets keep this within reason as i already have a few other bets on the game with some yankee's

tell me your choice of poison , not like i really need to know anyway , LOL

The problem with the "I could have made that shot" is that the person who makes that statement is NEVER in the position to find out. They weren't good enough to get there in the first place. The people who are good enough would NEVER call out someone for missing because they know damn well it could happen to them. I cannot fathom the pressure on a shot like that. Not like its in the flow of a continuous action game. Standing at the top of a run to a big jump or in the hack, or on the 18th fairway with one shot, knowing if you make it you will have the biggest moment of your life and if you don't, you'll relive the failure for the rest of your life. They have my respect. People can call them chokers if they like. I think they miss the point.

Hi rickr,

No need to get personal. Since you've never met me, you really can't say what I have or haven't done as far pressure goes.

Why don't you ask any curlers you know whether they could normally make that shot (under normal circumstances). Obviously pressure makes a difference, For some, they thrive on it: MJ for one, Tiger another, Jeter as well. Their play improves when the get under pressure. My definition of choking is when an expert of professional that misses a routine shot or play simply due to the pressure. If you don't think it was a choke, that's fine, many do, including Macleans http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/02/27/cheryl-...loses-the-gold/

I do think the team did great and did dominate the week of curling, making some really tough shots in tough situations, but the shot in the 10th was as routine as a skip can get to seal the deal. The extra end shot was tougher but still pretty straighforward for an expert curler. I think they would be perfectly happy with Silver had they been beaten by a great shot, but even Cheryl said that is not what happened.