Fly Fusion Forums

Bench Top

Tungsten

I'm making a new tying desk and was wondering what guys use for garbage?I'm thinking of using a deepish Tupperware container flush mounted at the back of the desk top.Anybody have something like this?Or do you favor the bag under the vise thing?

Any ideas on this?

Hey Tungsten-

I often go over my buddies to tie and simply use an old kleenex box for my discards (I have a vice with a pedestal). I like the kleenex box because the plastic over the hole/opening allows feathers to go in but not out. Also, its cheap!

I use a bag under the vise as I tie a lot of flies and that is the most convenient spot to drop stuff. I just empty it once a month and 'm good. It holds a surprising amount of material. I keep a strong magnet on hand in case any hooks get pushed in.

One of my "great ideas" is to have a fly tying desk set up with a central vac hose connected to it at desk level. Take one of the sweeper ends (those ends that you just use your foot to turn on and sweep your dust pile into the tray) and attach it at desk level. When you're done tying, just turn it on and take a little hand-held broom and sweep your garbage into the vacuum. Voila!

I try to use a tupperwear container but I find static electricity is really frustrating (especially maribou) - is there a way to eliminate that ? - I think I'll buy a can of static guard and give that a try before I get materials all over the desk

dust buster seems like a good idea - next time I see one at a thrift store or garage sale I'll pick one up

I try to use a tupperwear container but I find static electricity is really frustrating (especially maribou) - is there a way to eliminate that ? - I think I'll buy a can of static guard and give that a try before I get materials all over the desk

dust buster seems like a good idea - next time I see one at a thrift store or garage sale I'll pick one up

I use half of the plastic container my first fly tying kit came in to catch the materials, well most of them anyways. Had same problem with static used the dryer sheets rubbed them on the container seems to work well. Also good for keeping synthetic hair under controll. I actually leave a couple sheets in my materials drawer.

When I first started to tie, a good friend suggested the following. Take a strip of masking tape, turn it so the sticky side is up, fold the ends over sothat it sticke to the desk. any time you cut or trim something just stick it to the tape. At the end of your tieing session, just gather it up and toss it.

Murray