Fly Fusion Forums

How Many Years Of Fly Fishing Experience On This Board?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mikefronsundre - you're welcome - she got me the hottest yellow I've ever seen. Makes a real fine yarn indicator. The white is great for CFF's, the brown for down-winged stones, the grey for wings on this and that, the greens for hoppers, the pink & hot yellow for indicators.

Flyslinger - been building rods since 1968 - first plastic - then cane. First cane rod built in 1980 or 81. Have made about 150 of them. They are scattered from England throughout N. America.

catch ya'

Don

Well it's been 48 years for me. Dame time flies when you're having fun. Started at 8 years old with my dad and a hand me down fly rod. We fished from French river in Ontario to the Miramichi River in NB. Tied a lot of flies standard and Atlantic's commercially and ran fly tying courses for boys clubs and boy scouts. Guided for a few years in BC and ran a fly fishing for life cancer clinic for women for a couple of years.

Still learning, I figure I'm only about half way there. Hay Don, Is it you and me at the top of the chart?

Well all told I have about 85 years of flyfishing experience...... but the memories from the previous lifetimes are just a bit hazy. Back when I was Jason me an the argonauts used to take every sunday to toss some flies. When I was noah it took me several years to round up 2 of each species of fish....... which in retrospect I guess I didn't need to bother as they wouldn't have had to much trouble with the whole flood thing....... Most of my Experience though was when I was Alexander the great....... Cleopatra was a bit of a nag so I needed an escape.......... You all understand I'm sure.

Been at it since 1974, started out on the pothole lakes around the "chuk". When I moved to Calgary I fished the Bow and some of the foothills streams and just slayed them on the Bow and caught mostly dinks in the rest. Spent a good part of my younger years working in rural parts so fished rivers, creeks and lakes from NE BC to SE Sask. When I settled down to family matters the fishing had to take a backseat, but lately I have been able to get back into it and I no longer slay them on the Bow and the foothills streams have much larger fish. Go figure.

Alright.. this is crazy so far guys! We have..

Birchy - 1

BigBadBrent - 11

Maxwell - 7

AdamJ - 13

Dank - 2

Toolman - 5

quito - 28

Pythagoras - 30

DutchDryFly - 24

MrBotangles - 8

BlueNorther - 35

pacreseltoro - 6

MMAX - 20

fishhead - 37

126barnes - 3

DonAnderson - 51

CDone - 37

LK2 - 3

Lundvike - 6

dryfly - 37

rickr - 1

PeteZahut - 4

fishfreak - 11

Angler - 32

Pipestoneflyguy - 13

Bobr - 4

flyangler - 12

Pikebreath - 30

Kungfool - 15

chidders - 1

Crogg - 5

mikefromsundre - 20

Castuserraticus - 35

clarki - 16

flyslinger - 31

crookednose - 1

ThymallusArcticus - 25

bigbowtrout - 15

Stillwaterguy - 33

monger - 35

bigbadbrown - 9

Hawgstoppah - 20

cheeler - 2

Carlodabroads - 20

Weedy1 - answered about every question but .. haha FISHING for 40 - but I was being picky and waned ff'ing only.

ham - 1

SanJuanWorm - 9

Taco - IBFIICR

Kale - 1

SilverDoctor - 48

Lynnf - 9

Brownstone - 20

osprey - 40

tieflyer - 58

troutlover - 7

Trailhead - 33

retread - 15

birdman - 16

teck - 1

grannyknot - 3

fisher26 - 8

wongrs - 3

MissinTheBow - 33

Saltamontes - 7

Taiter - 10

yodatrout - 6

plecoptera - 27

LlamaLeach - 37

EQUALS.. (are you ready for this?!?) - 1136 years of fly fishing experience!!

Holy cow!

What's even crazier is the average years of experience - way higher than I thought at - 17 years each!! (toolman - I was thinking like you - maybe 3 - 5 years on average)

That's nuts guys!! If The Canadian Fly Fisher gets in touch with me about the Readers Showcase - I'll be definitely adding this info to my short story!!

Just saw the question.... altho I am another greybeard, this summer is my 10th anniversary with a FLY Rod. My first casting lesson was from the owner of the Upper Bow Fly fishing outfit...we did a corporate thing out at Chief Hector Lake in '97 and I caught a nice 'bow first cast.....I was hooked. Couldn't believe a fish would bite on a tiny little fly like we were using. Took to flyfishin for pike and walleye on the prairies with limited success. Moved to Calgary in '99 and spent my kid's inheritance outfitting for flyfishing and can't remember where my spinning gear is now!