Fly Fusion Forums

Request Advice On August 16 - 23 Trip

Hi All,

I wonder if I could ask for a little advice from the members of this forum? Last September I visited Alberta for the first time and fished the Livingstone/upper Oldman and Castle/Carbondale areas. Absolutely loved the fishing, scenery, and comraderie of fellow C&R fly fishers (I'm a bit of an oddity here in NB as one of a very few C&R trout fishermen... everyone thinks I'm nuts to release all my fish).

I had planned a return visit August 16 - 23, and was going to spend the first 2 days exploring the Highwood/Cataract area and then the rest back on the Livingstone/Oldman/Castle/Carbondale (based out of the Pass). I see the FTR is closed in the latter areas, so I was wondering if the Highwood/Cataract area is enough to keep a guy busy for a whole week?(never been there before). Or perhaps there are equally stunning fishing opportunites in Central Alberta? Or perhaps I shouldn't come at all as the fish are too stressed now?

Not looking for directions to anyone's hot spot, and all fish will be quickly released unharmed, but I would appreciate any advice. Feel free to PM if you prefer.

My tickets are a real pain($$$) to change, but I could try to re-schedule for September if coming now is a really bad idea.

Thanks to all,

Neil

Neil,

There are a lot of good angling opportunities in South/Central, AB to explore and the fishing has been sensational this season on most waters.

The heat wave has let up temporarily this week with some much needed rain and things are looking good for continued bliss on the rivers.

You should spend at least a couple of days on the Bow river if big hard fighting trout are of interest to you. You won't regret it this season.

Enjoy your trip.

ps. What part of NB are you from? I was b&r in Dalhousie.

Neil,

There are a lot of good angling opportunities in South/Central, AB to explore and the fishing has been sensational this season on most waters.

The heat wave has let up temporarily this week with some much needed rain and things are looking good for continued bliss on the rivers.

You should spend at least a couple of days on the Bow river if big hard fighting trout are of interest to you. You won't regret it this season.

Enjoy your trip.

ps. What part of NB are you from? I was b&r in Dalhousie.

Thanks Toolman, good to hear you are getting some relief from the heat there.

Been to Dalhousie a few times..... I'm from just down the road in Bathurst, now living in Moncton. After my trip last year I really envy you living that close to those great fish and that great country.