Fly Fusion Forums

"eat Local" - Hellman's

Yeah CBC Marketplace did spot on this a few seasons ago (http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/product_of_canada_eh/)

Also, some of you industry types might be able to substantiate this, but I hear we export most of our oil (and steel) and then buy it back from asia and the mid east (excluding the whole issue of refining)...

P

Yeah CBC Marketplace did spot on this a few seasons ago (http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/product_of_canada_eh/)

Also, some of you industry types might be able to substantiate this, but I hear we export most of our oil (and steel) and then buy it back from asia and the mid east (excluding the whole issue of refining)...

P

If that is true that makes us (Canada) by definition a third world country - a country that has natural resources but not the infrastructure to refine them..so we sell them and buy them as refined goods.

It's been a long time since I took any economics courses, but I believe this is true of steel and lumber. Not sure about oil. We export steel to the US and buy it back as a Ford or export lumber to say Sweden and buy it back as Ikea furniture. Don't know if those are valid examples, but they illustrate the point. This factors in to our trade deficit or surplus. If we import more than we export, then we run a trade deficit and a trade surplus is the opposite. Earlier this year we posted our first trade deficit since 1976. This doesn't make us a third world country. That's based on the human development index and other factors. Canada ranks as one of the most developed countries in the world according to that index.

To start off with the video says it all..however..we as just peons, have little control over what the large 'corp' food chains bring in despite the fact if we ask only for Canadian produce..for here in this city as others the Yankee dollar example [safeway], has invaded us in every way possible and will continue as long as there are 'corps' who value the $$$$ rather than our country.

..as far as Flyfishfairwx is concern the form of "Organic" is suppose to be chemical free, using all natural fertilization to produce a more high content of nutrients we require in our diet...so I really don't understand you reluctance in 'organic' oppose to chemical ridden produce..I'm sure there are plenty of "Local" farmers who have sections of their land designated to the growing in an Organic manner, maybe just for themselves, I know back in on the Island I had my veggie garden feed with oh natural fertilizers..horse, cattle, Llamas/Alpaca [when I could get it]..extremely high in content , excellent growing factor, or just making my own using plant matter , fermenting it in water, then introducing it to the garden as well as the flowers that were being grown...so..I don't see your hesitation...........Wolfie :derby racer:

To start off with the video says it all..however..we as just peons, have little control over what the large 'corp' food chains bring in despite the fact if we ask only for Canadian produce..for here in this city as others the Yankee dollar example [safeway], has invaded us in every way possible and will continue as long as there are 'corps' who value the $$$$ rather than our country.

..as far as Flyfishfairwx is concern the form of "Organic" is suppose to be chemical free, using all natural fertilization to produce a more high content of nutrients we require in our diet...so I really don't understand you reluctance in 'organic' oppose to chemical ridden produce..I'm sure there are plenty of "Local" farmers who have sections of their land designated to the growing in an Organic manner, maybe just for themselves, I know back in on the Island I had my veggie garden feed with oh natural fertilizers..horse, cattle, Llamas/Alpaca [when I could get it]..extremely high in content , excellent growing factor, or just making my own using plant matter , fermenting it in water, then introducing it to the garden as well as the flowers that were being grown...so..I don't see your hesitation...........Wolfie :derby racer:

you're right I should qualify that "Organic" as in not local "organic" ,most if not all unless marked, "organic" come from very far away.. I would rather pay for not local Canadian non-organic, then not local not Canadian organic, and I always buy local non-organic and organic, produce.. or if I have to Canadian not local organic, I also grow organic with household compost, no pesticides or other nasties..