Fly Fusion Forums

What Is/are Your Other Hobby(s) ?

So...we all know what our main hobby is (or is it your MAIN hobby?) . How about your other hobbies? I find it fascinating to hear what other skillz people have.

I'll start by saying fishing is my secondary hobby. My main hobby is...

Cars...Vintage Volvos in particular. I play with them. Make them go fast. Make them handle. Make them fun to drive.

Here is my current car and how it looked in 2006.

100_2534.jpg

It is currently undergoing a full restoration and should be on the road next spring.

I also helped a buddy build his car...

HPIM0948.JPG

HPIM0991.JPG

HPIM0949.JPG

As you can see...we're just a little crazy...

A partner and I also run a small business where we design and sell aftermarket performance parts for Volvos. A bit of a niche market, to say the least.

Next?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My activities are all spin-offs of my fly fishing obsession. Got into rod building, then after I retired 2+ years ago, got into designing fly rods, in particular for "niche markets", sort of stuff that none of the "names" produce ? Something to do during "hard water season". So now, I design for a small manufacturer, and they cover my expenses to test the prototypes during the fishing season. Keeps me out of jail. :)

j

Well I'm a carpenter and while it's not exactly a hobby for me most of the time I have been finding ways of tying it all together. I enjoy timber framing and other assorted heavy carpentry projects which mostly occur in quite the same places as flyfishing or snowboarding or hiking. I have been gaining the ability of doing working adventures, subsidizing my fun time so to speak. I'm into outdoor backcountry pursuits and cabins play into this really nicely. I know some folks with a fly in ski lodge and they have annual work retreats in exchange for some powder later in the season. I know a fellow with a lot of land and a great cabin up settlers road on the kootenay which is a perpetual project and always allows for some top notch bush time.

It's kind of a neat life being able to take my work with me on adventures, good thing too because at this rate I'll still be givin'er when I'm 70 :). Sometimes the balance leans heavy to one side, but who could resist midweek fishing? Or powder on Wed?

I also love to eat.

Looking for Sasquatch.

If that was a seriously reply I think that's pretty cool. I find cryptozoology very interesting.

As for myself, my other hobbies would be music (I play a bit of guitar, own a lot of albums, and go to a ton of concerts) and I am also in the process of getting a Bachelor's degree in English (Done next month) and thus I'm a bit into reading but mostly into writing. Can't wait to enter the job market in these glorious economic times...

dude! one of my all-time dream cars is a fully restored/tweaked 1800 es.

got any???

Almost had one this fall but it turned out to be less "perfect" than the seller was leading us to believe. They pop up once in a while. The unfortunate thing is the sellers seem to know what they're worth...

Well, looky, looky...just popped up on Kijiji this morning. Just an E, not an ES but looks nice...

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-c...AdIdZ169564834#

If that was a seriously reply I think that's pretty cool. I find cryptozoology very interesting.

100% serious actually. They're out there. Pacres - Anytime. Feel free to send a PM if you're interested.

PS - Love hockey, golf, motocross, formula one, nascar, and pretty much every other kind of motorsports too.. Have a fascination with flying. Love Flight Simulator on the comp. Every few months I get on a kick to buy an RC Helicopter or Plane, but haven't actually gotten around to it yet. Just don't have the time for it all..

When I'm not fishing, tying flies, or having a nap, I do woodworking -- been at it since I was a wee tad, which was before the last ice age. Here's some samples of recent work. Terry

stereo cabinet in douglas fir from our own trees

2119.jpg

cabinets, again lumber for doors and panels from our own trees

2362.jpg

landing nets -- one of which was donated to last year's Streamwatch auction

2429.jpg

my tying desk -- base was built originally as a computer desk

2672.jpg

I Throw lead weights, rocks, hammers and poles in a kilt, with the bagpipes in the background in the summer, Kayak as much as we can with the kids, exploring the old minesites and towns in the Kootnays with our kids. In the winter I can be found ice fishing most weekends.

Terry,

Excellent woodwork. Must be extra satisfying to use your own lumber.

Loeber,

God bless your Scottish heart.

Personally,

Any hobbies I have are time-killers to get me through to the next fishing season. These winters are too long.

Adams