Fly Fusion Forums

Float Tube Repair

TerryH

I need to repair a tear in the urethane bladder on an Outcast Super Fat Cat U-boat. The repair kit that came with the boat has the urethane patch material, but it does not include the adhesive. According to the Outcast website, the adhesive I need is a one part concoction called Clifton adhesive. Does anyone know where I can get some in Calgary? Terry

Terry,

Maybe contact Kip (Fishguide76) at Kimball Sports out of Cardston. As a rafting company he has probably repaired his share of urethane bladders so might have what you are looking for and also might save you a trip north!! Other then that, possibly Aquabatics or Undercurrents in Calgary or one of the Outcast Dealers.

P

I need to repair a tear in the urethane bladder on an Outcast Super Fat Cat U-boat. The repair kit that came with the boat has the urethane patch material, but it does not include the adhesive. According to the Outcast website, the adhesive I need is a one part concoction called Clifton adhesive. Does anyone know where I can get some in Calgary? Terry

If you have the time you can use a combo of contact cement and aqua seal. I stick on the patch with the contact and use aqua seal around the edges of the patch. I find the contact breaks down after a while and you get slow leaking. The aqua seal prevents this. I also use aqua seal along the seams of the bladder as mine seams to tear there. It has worked very well in adding some reinforcing to this area.

I used "Marine Goo" I think its called... I used it on my Fishcat right on a seam that was like 2 inches wide and the Goo worked awesome. I tried a few patches before, but because of the seem, they never worked. You can get the Goo at Canadian tire for like 9$ or something, I also put some Duct Tape over the goo after it dried just to give it a bit more strength. I used the tube 10 times so far and it doesn't leak at all.

Just my 2 cents.

Drew

personally i think the risk is too great not to do it properly. i would go to auto marine and have them patch it, i cant see it costing too much. Brian at auto marine is very good at what he does

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions. I tend to agree with craneguy that for safety reasons it should be done right, and that's why I was trying to track down the proper adhesive. It's hard stuff to find, although I did find a place in Calgary (Aquabatics) who could get it. Anyway, to complete the story, I've talked to the folks at Auto Marine, and I'll be getting them to do the repair. Terry