Fly Fusion Forums

100 Fish Day

yes, on a river in the yukon fly fishing for grayling.

there were 2 of us, we planned an entire day but we had to make up games like 'catch that particular fish' to keep interest up as we were kinda done by noon. caught several during a false cast.

shore lunch was good.

Now comes the Bullet!

:derby racer:

Most of these are C&R waters.

I know we all take the utmost care in reviving and releasing and that they all swim away.

Studies show on average we KILL between 3 to 5%, are we then any better than someone taking 3 to 5 fish out of that same water?

Shouldn't we be more responsible and limit the amount we try to catch?

:fish_jump:

Now comes the Bullet!

I know we all take the utmost care in reviving and releasing and that they all swim away.

Studies show on average we KILL between 3 to 5%, are we then any better than someone taking 3 to 5 fish out of that same water?

What difference does it make if I catch 100 fish in a week or in a day? Should my limit be a yearly one to limit KILL?

If I'm having a great day, I'm not going to stop because of fish mortality. I accept the fact that my chosen activity has consequences to the fish. If it really bothered me I wouldn't fish. Doesn't make me feel good that some of them die no matter how hard I try to treat them as well as I know how. But it doesn't, and I can't see it ever, make me feel so bad that I'll stop.

If you want to set personal daily limits, that is fine. It is a noble position to take. I'm not that noble, and I suspect I'm not alone.

No I have never had a 100 fish day. I was up in the arctic on a tiny grayling creek, and after about 30 I got bored and left. Once when I was fishing a cutt stream I caught 8 or ten in the same amount of casts and left that hole because I felt weird. I guess I am. :loster:

have you?

Yes, 10-15 years ago and quite honestly it got boring and I stopped after a couple of hours. All on a single dry fly.

That was out of ignorance and lack of awareness, I thought that fish were a never ending resource.

I have since learned they are not and deserve not to be pressured more.

If fishing is that good on a particular day now, (I am always single hook only never hopper/dropper and 99% Dry Fly) I try to be more selective by doing some of the following: Cast to only rising fish, not fishing the best locations, try to get that perfect drift in multiple currents, practice casting, try new flies that may not be appropriate for that location or species, watch my fishing partner, spend more time looking for bugs, taking pictures etc.

All of which will teach me more about this precious resource and enhance my experiences.

Trout don't live in ugly places. I believe they deserve that respect.

Guest Sundancefisher
I think Sundance has caught over 3000 in one day and bonked them all. post-2125-1257878894.gif

LOL

Yup...

100 perch

100 grayling

Guest Sundancefisher
Now comes the Bullet!

LOL

Most people limit their catch anyways simply via poor skill.

Very few people actually catch tons of fish. Most likely those skilled fishermen are also equally adept at catch and release.

As for 3-5 % mortality...I can show definitive proof that perch have 100% mortality...

Now comes the Bullet!

Methinks someone may be trolling for 100 plus forum responses. <--poke--<

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

no kidding, this is a pointless thread! no info gained just time wasted hoping some good info would come out of here. If 4-5 fish die then its population control because obviously there are too many. The place i hit 100/day the ranger asked me to pitch all the brookies in the woods over my shoulder so the natives have more food and less comp....

Now comes the Bullet!

Good post BRB.

"Studies show on average we KILL between 3 to 5%, are we then any better than someone taking 3 to 5 fish out of that same water?"

No better in my view (if 3 or 5 is a legal limit). Though I largely practice C&R I see no moral high ground in it. It's blood sport.

At best C&R is an effective management tool providing us with better opportunities to catch fish.

"Shouldn't we be more responsible and limit the amount we try to catch?"

Sure. Anyone with skill has great days when some restraint is in order in consideration for the next angler behind you. I don't feel good draining a pool of every fish in it. A 20-25 fish day is a great one. Unrestrained easy catching feels piggy. When a fish becomes a number instead of a beautiful living thing it's time to stop.

regards, Paul