Fly Fusion Forums

H1n1

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

well on Friday evening I felt fine. Went fishing. Caught a few big trout. That night I went to bed feeling pretty good.

Saturday morning woke up with a bit of a cough...still feeling okay but noticed that I had some chest congestion. By noon the chest congestion was getting worse. I was also feeling lazier than normal. I often wore a fleece jacket due to chills. By evening I was pretty wacked. The chest congestion was now causing violent coughing albeit controllable and not constant. Still I had a pain in the middle of my chest and my throat was a tad raw from the coughing. The phlegm was thick and hard to cough up. It was also a orange color. I also started to get hot and cold flashes and definitely felt feverish. I did not seem to get overly hot and took nothing for it. I did have a bit of a headache. I started taking something Necitrin for chest congestion and cough...seemed to work...marginally. I went to bed still with a cough and chest congestion.

Sunday morning I felt very exhausted. I had zero energy for a while in the morning. Laying around seems to make the chest congestion worse. Sitting up an walking around once in a while seems to help. The Necitrin...still has some effect...not sure how much is placebo...tastes and smells bad too... By Sunday noon I was feeling even more bagged. I started wearing my fleece jacket again due to chills. By about 2 pm I could not stay awake I was so tired. I fell asleep and tossed and turned until 6 pm. I woke up feeling not much better and with a more pronounced headache. I ate a bit and then watched some TV. Could not sleep due to the nap and went to bed late.

Woke up Monday morning feeling much the same...but with a more pronounced sore throat...I think is cough related. Now I just sit and wait.

On a scale of 1 to 10...for flus that I can remember having...this one so far is a 3. While the trouble breathing for me is noticeable, I can force myself to cough crap up and it does eventually work. I can see someone with breathing trouble being affected or reduce O2 absorption due to breathing restrictions causing trouble in some.

My worst ever flu was waking up when I was 18...feeling almost paralyzed with aches and pain I tried to stagger to the bathroom due to sudden impending nausea...well the projectile vomit happened just as I turned the corner out of my room. Dad had quite the mess to clean. I remember the constant vomiting, constant aches, headache, sore throat...that would be my 10.

Anyways...the whole point of this is to take out some of the unknowns and the fear some people have regarding this flu. Hope it helps.

Cheers

Sun

Guest Sundancefisher
How are you certain that you have H1N1?

Did you go to one of those assessment clinics?

Sounds like you are faring OK, good to hear.

There was an information clinic at work a week before. The nurse said only the H1N1 is around. Sundance has been confirmed as an outbreak...25% of kids have it. Lots of diagnosed cases...but not mine officially. Same symptoms as friends nearby. They say don't go in if your symptoms are not severe.

that's identical in symptoms & speed to a wicked head-cold that's ripping it's way around, incl. my fam. i literally know a dozen people who've had the same or very similar.

also it seems to get better but also hangs around for a week or three as well.

glad to hear you're on the mend, but i don't think that's the swine flu?

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

well you pulled through! Its good to see another person is immunized by the bug just like me. Im glad i got it in the spring and now i never have to worry about it again....

Guest Sundancefisher

Well...I kinda hope you are wrong... I would like the immunity without the darn line up :-)

My neighbour is a nurse and had the same symptoms and was checked out to have the swine flu. My head is clear so it is not a head cold. I don't have nasal dripping and my throat is not affected

My neighbour is a nurse and had the same symptoms and was checked out to have the swine flu. My head is clear so it is not a head cold. I don't have nasal dripping and my throat is not affected

hmmmm. maybe i had it and never knew it? i'm a carrier?

someone sent me this re: swine flu paranioa:

post-1222-1257796341.jpg

i laffed, but maybe i should be at home...

Anyone get the 5-6 hrs of confusion about which end of your body to stick in the toilet? Hit me 2 Saturdays ago when I was still 2 1/2 hrs from home.. not fun.. 12-18 hrs of chills and fever, very little congestion and 9-10 days of utter exhaustion. Just now getting back to work.

Guest Sundancefisher
Anyone get the 5-6 hrs of confusion about which end of your body to stick in the toilet? Hit me 2 Saturdays ago when I was still 2 1/2 hrs from home.. not fun.. 12-18 hrs of chills and fever, very little congestion and 9-10 days of utter exhaustion. Just now getting back to work.

A nursing friend called and said without a doubt that is what I have. While the severity varies...and symptoms can vary slightly...ie no nausea in some...less fever in others...it is definitely not a cold. Quick onset respiratory flu.

Seems the flu is picking up speed but the hype is dying down!

CBC story says the flu is picking up speed.

My wife teaches undergrads at the university, and she tells me that those kids are dropping like flies. I work at the foothills hospital, and I can tell you that the ER admitting is pretty busy with sick people in masks. So much so that I heard elective surgeries have been cancelled to keep beds available.

I had this without the stomach issues. Zero energy. Chills and sweats swapping places with some regularity. Aches from top to bottom and a zinger of a headache the whole time. Advil, and lots of it, was the ticket for me. Cured the aches, dulled the headache and knocked me out so got loads of sleep. I think I'm over it now but it knocked me down for a week. No sniffles, cough or congestion which scares the crap out of me because my wife has spent the last 4 days laying on the couch with a really bad congested cough, sore throat, aches and headache...

Guest Sundancefisher
I had this without the stomach issues. Zero energy. Chills and sweats swapping places with some regularity. Aches from top to bottom and a zinger of a headache the whole time. Advil, and lots of it, was the ticket for me. Cured the aches, dulled the headache and knocked me out so got loads of sleep. I think I'm over it now but it knocked me down for a week. No sniffles, cough or congestion which scares the crap out of me because my wife has spent the last 4 days laying on the couch with a really bad congested cough, sore throat, aches and headache...

My 12 year old had a cough and a tad fever for a day and a half and then got better. My wife has a cough and bad sore throat. I had the full meal deal but not really severe. It moves around and varies in severity. Watch her close. If she looks pale or gray faced, seems to be disorientated or extra irritable (no joke) take her in and get her checked out. Lack of oxygen from plugged lungs to me would be the biggest threat. That morphs into pneumonia which is the big killer.

The monitoring groups (some of them) now say the flu has peaked. Severity is minimal. While any death is tragic...death rates is far lower than in seasonal flu. Still common sense should prevail. If symptoms persist or get worse or leave then come back...get checked out.

Check the internet for information.

Sun

Glad to hear you're pulling through there.

Word of caution though - only because it's so tough to self-diagnose and even tougher to get a 100% diagnosis from a hospital - pay attention to the respiratory signs.

My hairdresser's daughter came to her room one night at 3 in the morning not breathing. Into Rockyview in 10 minutes. On Tamiflu and Ventolin and sent home with "H1N1". Week later same incident, but with a throat so raw it was almost bleeding. Turns out it was croup...and nothing to do with H1N1. It's a bitch when we're all looking out for one thing and dismissing others equally as dangerous.

I was outa commission for 6 days...No energy, dazed and confused, sweating like crazy in my sleep, crazy crazy dreams, no appetite what so ever, felt worse after showers, really edgy, headache from hell, no focus on anything, Turned down a drillin job (bin outa the patch all spring and summer) sleep for hours on end, watched a lot of WFN re-runs...Its bin about 9 days now and my strength is still on the very low side...Did manage another drillin job mind ya, should start in a couple weeks, I hope....Pretty nasty sickness!!...Havnt bin that sick for 17 years!!...

It is very hard for anyone to say if they have the flu the symptoms are essentially the same as any cold, although typically worse. I have spoken to a few people who have lived through a flu this season and they basically had all the respiratory issues coupled with extreme fatigue lasting for days and a high fever. The stomach/lower intestinal issues are only a bonus for a lucky few.

Although they are not testing anyone to see if it is H1N1, if you have the flu you probably have H1N1 as it is the strain of influenza that is most common currently.

We ended up taking our 2 year old to the screening clinic on Sunday and then to Childrens for xrays, turned out to be pneumonia and not the flu. The ER Doctor that we saw mentioned that there are also a few really nasty cold strains going around.

In regards to getting the H1N1 shot after having flu the Alberta Health Services website states "People who get the H1N1 vaccine who have had prior H1N1 infection are not expected to have any adverse reactions." So if you are unsure and are high risk you probably still want to get it.

Lots more info for anyone who wants it:

Alberta Health Services

Guest Sundancefisher
If I am still wheezing tomorrow...I may just go in and get an inhaler and try and open up the passages...

Darn it. Figured I would go an get something to help the breathing.

Turns out I have pneumonia now. Now I have antibiotics after getting a chest x-ray. Bummer.

Guest Sundancefisher

Day 7

Still tired...still coughing...feeling a bit better though I would say...hopefully the pneumonia is getting cleared up.

Fingers crossed

Guest Sundancefisher

Day 10

Still tired...still got the piggy cough...hard to say if I am feeling any bit better though...hopefully the pneumonia is getting cleared up.

Sun

Guest Sundancefisher

Day 13

Still coughing. Still very little appetite. Still have chest congestion.

I would say though that I am feeling a bit better than 2 days ago.

Maybe it is finally turning!