Fly Fusion Forums

Quick And Easy Ways To Measure Trout

Wolfie

I scotch tape two very small pieces of yellow sticky note paper to my rod at 12" and 18" from the butt. They don't seem to affect the action of the rod. When I have the fish (still in the water) alongside me with one hand under it I quickly lay the rod over top for a measurement, then pop the hook out and he's gone. Not exact but pretty close.

Adams

hmm...7-8 lber...26"-28" no bigger................Wolfie

not exactly true there wolf. :) a 7.9 pound rainbow from a lake might be as little as 25 inches (we got a 8+ pounder from palmer ranch very recently that was 25 inches)... and on the flipside...a 29 inch rainbow I got in the bow would MAYBE have been 7/8 pounds, if lucky. So there's a lot of variables. He didn't state wether it was a lake fish or a stream fish..

Ive seen 30 inch fish from the bow that wouldn't go over 8lbs too, some of those... snakey browns...

I carried a scale for quite some time, weighed a lot of fish in my net on the Bow... most people calling the average bow river fish 4 and 5 pound fish have no clue. A 20 incher in the bow is approx 2 to 2.5 lbs. Most people call em 4 or 5.. LOL.. A normally shaped 25 incher on the bow is roughly 4 to 5 pounds... that's it! People call those things 10's!!! Must be the same people saying their 18 inchers are 23's and 24's :)