Fly Fusion Forums

Keenan Gets The Boot

Now I like Keenan and thought he did not that bad of job and it will be intresting to see who steps in, I think you might see Daryl come out of the box for a year and coach until Brett's contract with the devils is up and then here he comes to cowtown.

I think the decision to let Keenan go came from the ownership group.

The only thing that has me puzzled is if the major problem with Keenan came from how he managed Kipper then how come Dryal didn't come down from the box and TELL keenan to give kipper more rest?

Anyways it will be intresting to see what the outcome will be I have heard some rumors that Lowery could be named Head Coach for a year but I think it might be a bit too soon for him, and he needs to be seasoned some more, Hitman was a great place for him to develope as a Headcoach, also I am wondering how many more of the coaching staff from the flames are going to get their Pink Slips.

Oh one other thing I just remebered, after coaching football for 11 years we had a saying about professional coaches "They are hired to be fired" meaning if your not producing and moving forward most likely you were going to be getting your pink slip.

I love these threads - why do people blame the coaches and not the players?

How does a coach motivate his players that are making millions a year wether they play good or bad? Figure that one out then come back and talk.

If i'm working for a company for a set salary and not producing, then i'll probably get fired. Start firing some of these overpaid hockey players or pay them based on performance, then we can have a real game. Until then...

JMHO

I love these threads - why do people blame the coaches and not the players?

How does a coach motivate his players that are making millions a year wether they play good or bad? Figure that one out then come back and talk.

If i'm working for a company for a set salary and not producing, then i'll probably get fired. Start firing some of these overpaid hockey players or pay them based on performance, then we can have a real game. Until then...

JMHO

At the professional level the Head Coach does very little coaching, that is what assistance coaches are. It is the job of the Head Coach to motivate the players to do better. If a Head Coach has failed to accoplish that then he has failed at his job, thus deserves to be fired.

As for letting go players you have to remeber they are under contact and unless they can find another team that will take that contract then they are stuck with them or have to pay them out, that is also how it works in the work force too, if you have a contract and bnot producing then you get paied out for the rest of that contract.

Players do have bad seasons and can come back and look good the next year that is just how the dice or rolled. What high player player on Calgary did not produce, I think calgary's problem was not one single player but the whole team, are we now going to get ride of the entire team?

Beeing both a Head Coach and a Assataint Coach in Minor football here in the city for 11 years I understand this 100%

I agree that players professional players today make way too much money but that is just the facts of life and we need to get over that. Coaches at the professional level need to modavate their players to succeed. I think overall Calgary played very well this year just lacked the modivation they needed to be implyed by the Head Coach and the rest of the coaching staff.

I fully understand how it all works, but my question is, how does one motivate somebody that is guaranteed a million a year no matter what? That's a big responsibility, isn't it - then to be forced to take the blame when the team fails - just look at what people are posting about keenan on hockey forums - where is the motivation to be a coach... As with any sport, the team that wants it the most, gets it... The flames haven't hoisted a cup in what, 20 years now? oilers in 19? Pretty sad testament to team motivation IMO.

Yeah, there are some coaches that should never be. Tremblay tried to enforce his idea of "it's my team" but he learned the hard way that it was Roy that motivated the habs to their last stanley cup.

At the NHL level, these players shouldn't need to be coached, they got there because they are damn good at what they do - and money should be the motivating factor to play your ass off.

I did not notice any real change with Keenan. My opinion the team did not seem motivated or on the same page. Power play stunk and that really hurt. The flames are not a top level team so to go anywhere they have to make it up in other areas. That being said Vancouver never fared any better against Chicago than we did after 10 days rest.

Actually I like watching the CFL for the reason most guys don't get the huge bucks but still give it a good go. Watching millionaires play lifeless hockey is not something I pay for.

They don't call coaches coaches for no reason...they do coach. They put together systems, decide on how the pp and pk should be played, put together lines, match lines with other teams lines, etc. To think that they just are there to motivate their players is short sighted.

A determining factor with any team, sports related or not, is to have cohesion as a whole. You need everyone to believe in what your goals are and how to accomplish them. Yes, a good portion of doing that is having a coach who can motivate your players to believe in them.

Some teams just don't have unity in them either, with cliques forming and what not, and no matter what coach you have behind the bench if the players aren't willing to work for their teammates all hope is lost. You take Chicago for example, they are all young, all growing up together, and are willing to fight next to the guy sitting next to them.

Have to agree with Robert, hard to motivate someone to play when they are making millions. But on the other hand, they wouldn't have gotten to where they are at if they didn't love the game to begin with...if they don't love the game they should hang up their skates...

Hey - that Coach Wade Guy from Survivor could motivate these guys and I heard he is available. He'd definatley hit them with his best shot(Pat Benatar).

What they need is to scrap the goofy beards and fauxhawks and start sporting the Samurai look for the playoffs.

Hey - that Coach Wade Guy from Survivor could motivate these guys and I heard he is available. He'd definatley hit them with his best shot(Pat Benatar).

What they need is to scrap the goofy beards and fauxhawks and start sporting the Samurai look for the playoffs.

That made me chuckle....

Anyways about motivating a million doller player, I think when you yourself are beeing paied 1 million then I think it really shouldn't be much of a problem, in the end Keenan wasn;t the guy the ownership wanted in there, and it was time for him packing, I really think Ken King and co really wanted the Iron Mike, the no bullshit, in your face coach, and instead they got a lame version of Emilo Estavase in "The Mighty Ducks" - Quack, Quack