Fly Fusion Forums

Posting Images Of Fish On The Fly Fish Calgary Board

admin

yeah, but don't forget...... :picsplease:

I also am a big fan of fishing pictures! But I wouldn't dare post them on here! no matter what, someone is gonna find something they didn't like about your handling, your camera settings, your camera itself, Etc. Some of it might be constructive criticism, but most of it seems to be downright rude.. Let's try to remember the last time someone's reply offended you, before sending an angst filled comment to someone who is just trying to read, write, or post pictures about our common interest.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I think instead of worrying about what position the eyes are in (seems to me like a way just to prove if we did good or not), let's focus on doing no or min. harm in the first place. I think we should be minimizing harm by the best methods we feel there are, some of our practises may be more important than others, but why take the chance...

1/Bring in a fish as quick as possible

2/keep him (or Ms fish) in the water, don't drag or bring them onto land/boat

3/don't squeeze them

4/quickly lift him up horizontally under the belly to take a pic (try not to take pix of all your fish, I'll go weeks between pix) or a quick look, then give them time to revive putting one hand on the tail, and one gently under the belly, letting them decide when to swim away; If you must take more than one pic, put them back in the water between pictures

5/Most of the time for small fish that were landed quick ya just reach down with some forceps, and they are gone, they don't even let ya release them

just my thoughts on what I try to do....I think the worst thing for the fish that I see out there has to be the dragging of them up onto shore, and the time that they are out of the water; Most of the protective slime gets wiped off, and they have no oxygen being on the stream bank; I see new flyfishers who are excited about their catch do this often, it's not just gear chuckers

I hope everyone gets a good'r this WE and gets him back in there for the next guy !

Adam

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 10/7/2008 at 10:19 PM, Weedy1 said:

The regulations state:

Releasing Prohibited Fish

You must immediately release every fish that cannot be legally kept because of species, catch limit, size limit or other regulation, without exception, even if the fish is injured or dead. When the fish is alive, you must release it in a manner that causes the least harm to the fish.

The definition of Immediately is "without interval of time ".

I would guess that for a large number of the pictures taken of Prohibited Fish and posted on this site, an "interval of time" was required after catching the fish in order to get the picture. I would then say that is breaking the law.

Careful what you wish for. Some people can be real sticklers.

Awesome post! And I do wish for some better behaviour in regard to the time people spend handing fish.

I can’t tell you how many times I see some Instagram Hero taking picture after picture, doing pose after pose. And some of these guys are catching serious fish on a regular basis. They must know better but they seem to have little regard for the fish they catch beyond their value in garnering more followers.

General rule; if you are handling a fish for longer than you can keep your head underwater, after sprinting 100 M, you’re taking too long.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FlashBang said:

Awesome post! And I do wish for some better behaviour in regard to the time people spend handing fish.

I can’t tell you how many times I see some Instagram Hero taking picture after picture, doing pose after pose. And some of these guys are catching serious fish on a regular basis. They must know better but they seem to have little regard for the fish they catch beyond their value in garnering more followers.

General rule; if you are handling a fish for longer than you can keep your head underwater, after sprinting 100 M, you’re taking too long.

Holy thread necromancy!

I love the comment is more valid today than it was 11 years ago, when people were just starting to carry cameras around with them full time.

• Haha 1