Fly Fusion Forums

Campgrounds With Good Fishing?

Hey Fellas I am planning to head out camping for the long weekend ( which most are I'm sure ) and would love to hit a spot which has some good fishing but not totally sure where to go. Would really appreciate some insight on some good sites not to far out of town.

Thanks

Totally depends on what you're after and how far you want to drive. There is camping on the Bow at Nature's Hideaway and Carseland, and there's a CG at Chain Lakes.

A nice spot is Blood Indian reservoir - about 2 1/2 hours from Calgary and is loaded with smaller rainbows.

if you go to Carsland don't forget that the river is closed between the wier and HWY 24 till the end of the month. It's only a five minute walk to the bridge if you stay in loop A and there is some good fishin right after it. Also try Bow Valley by Sibald flats. The Bow runs right along side of it. Also # sisters in Canmore is on the Bow.

u got some fishing out in k-country down on teh crow and the bragg creek area aswell as teh lower bow... theres tons of places dude jsut gotta pull out the map and check barries fishing guide to get a rough idea on were u wana go and what u wana fish for...

Hey Maxwell

Good post... A response that gives some general information but leaves the details

to the fisherman to explore for themselves. Barry's guide is a great starting place.

Sometimes is not all about catching the fish but the exploring that leads to the

catching. Not looking to start anything just one of many points of view.

hey guys. does anyone know how busy blood indian reservoir is on weekends normally or is likely to be on the may long? thanks alot!

[/quote

It will be crazy on May long. Get a spot early if you want to camp there. No real big fish but lots of them. Scenery is not that great either but its a decent spot to spend time with the family and get the kids into some fish.

Good luck, Brad

I stayed at Natures Hideaway this past weekend on the highwood river. Only about 30 minutes from Calgary and it feels like your 3 hours away. Its about a 15 minute walk to where the Highwood meets the Bow. Caught all rainbows, only one that was over 18inches, but it was still a great time. If you walk out to where the rivers meet and hike upstream 500-1500 meters then the water is perfect for nymphing. Good luck!

hey guys. does anyone know how busy blood indian reservoir is on weekends normally or is likely to be on the may long? thanks alot!

all i know is a friend of mine goes there most weekends and for this weekend she is going up after work on wednesday so she can get a spot close to the water for fishing. i have heard a few stories of blood indian getting busy. but i havent fished or camped there yet...