Fly Fusion Forums

Which Is Your Favorite Reel Maker?

Which is your favorite reel maker?  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite reel maker?

• Hardy
    • Ross
    • Tibor
    • Islander
    • Sci Anglers
    • Abel
    • Galvan
    • Lamson/Waterworks
    • Teton
    • Pflueger

I fish the big Islander mooching reels when I go to the Charlotte's. Any reel is only as good as its weakest link and the open cork drag is the definate weak link. Dip your Islander in the river, let it soak for a bit then test the drag, a real world fail. Works flawless when it is dry and the cork has been conditioned, but really how often is a reel bone dry, especially on the coast or on a trout rod? Maybe not a big deal on a small trout rod/reel combo, but a huge issue when you need it with a big fish!

Nautilus all the way, never a regret.

Never noticed that on My Islander. Last fall my LX4 spent 3 days in the water and rain, sitting outside the cabin most days and taking many prolonged dips. It never gave me an ounce of trouble with some brutal salmon.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never noticed that on My Islander. Last fall my LX4 spent 3 days in the water and rain, sitting outside the cabin most days and taking many prolonged dips. It never gave me an ounce of trouble with some brutal salmon.

I like the reels and would like to support a Canadian company. If they had a sealed drag I would own them in a heartbeat.

Islanders. The open cork/polymer drag should not require dunking. What it does require is some TLC, once a year. A very light smear of SuperLube synthetic grease on the face of drag is all part of the annual cleaning/maintenance.

Six_Lovelies.thumb.jpg

There is nothing better than fighting a Northern Coho on a coastal river for 10 minutes, and then having some guy come up to you afterwards and ask: "Is that an Islander?"

Yeah, they make some noise, love 'em. :)

j

Islander is the best there is and Teton is a close second. Both have landed some big fish for me in the past.

www.kureoutdoors.com

I do love my Islander. Considering adding another to the collection...

• 2 years later...

I have three Islanders, one Ross, one old Orvis, and a whole bunch of Hardy's, which are older than a great deal of the people on this forum. They all have seen a tremendous amount of use in both fresh and salt water. All are still in great shape and still in use. None of the newer reels come even close to the Hardy's or the old Orvis, but they do make reasonable back ups. As you can imagine they don't get used much, only the ones with specialty lines on them, because I ran out of spare spools for my Hardys. What a sweet sound those Hardy's make with a fish on :lol:. Quiet reels how boring!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think the newer reels I am using are better, but I chose Hardy. My marquis #7 lasted over 20 years on the bow, and landed so many nice trout, performing very well while doing so. Those are irreplaceable memories that are hard to beat. Thats why I chose Hardy.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had the opportunity to test out the new Greys GX300. It is a cast aluminum large arbor, entry level reel. It retails for like $69.00. It was given to me because I am notoriously rough on equipment. I've only had it for two weeks, but I'm not giving it back. Super smooth drag, almost (or maybe just as) smooth as my Bauer. I landed a 24" really feisty brown with it this weekend, and it performed perfectly. I'm not saying it is a high end Hardy reel, but I would buy one of these in a second. In fact, if I am forced to give it back, I'm buying it instead. I know Hanson's and Southbow carry Grey's, not sure who else.