Fly Fusion Forums

smoke/CO detectors?

Any electrician types out there that are expert in these things?  Got a replacement alarm on one of our detectors last night, and see that the builders ones installed in our house are all marked for 2017 replacement.  So, I opened a Pandora's box this morning and started some research for new ones.  Turns out the standard ionization-type detectors in most houses are a little questionable in terms of their effectiveness against some types of fires... who knew??  That sent me on the path of looking at dual-sensor detectors, with CO detector built in... there's just not a lot out there that I could find that fits the bill.  I was leaning heavily toward the Nest Protect, until I read that some inspectors are not passing them (mainly Ontario anecdotes) because they are not interconnected by hardwire (120v Nest versions are two wire, and rely on network for interconnect) 

So ideally,  I think I would like a dual sensor, 3 wire, with CO detector.  Smart features are optional. Failing that, can anyone confirm if the Nests pass inspections in AB?   

I’m in the process of replacing our smoke detectors. The current ones are the wired interconnected ionization type. The replacements I’ve ordered are the dual sensor type with battery backup (Kidde model PI2010CA, $45.99 at Rona) so a bit of an upgrade. My CO detectors are the wall plug in type, so they are closer to floor level. I agree with Uber.

2 hours ago, ÜberFly said:

No expert or an electrician but CO is heavier then air and should be mounted separately lower down ( or in a basement) from what I was told. 

I always thought that too, but came across this in my interweb travels today.  I was compelled to dig a little more, and next found a website that referenced this article; in a test they placed detectors at 3 different heights in a sealed chamber, and each performed equally as well. Conversely I've also read today that 5 feet is the best height, and that there is potential they won't perform as well when on a ceiling if there is an expanse of heated air up there preventing the CO from reaching the detector.   All a little confusing for the consumer with an inclination for proverbial salt grains

1 hour ago, TerryH said:

I’m in the process of replacing our smoke detectors. The current ones are the wired interconnected ionization type. The replacements I’ve ordered are the dual sensor type with battery backup (Kidde model PI2010CA, $45.99 at Rona) so a bit of an upgrade. My CO detectors are the wall plug in type, so they are closer to floor level. I agree with Uber.

Those look great on the dual sensor front, but not sure I'm inclined (based on my comments above) to do separate CO detectors.  I like the permanent (lithium) battery ones as well, but not a dealbreaker one way or the other. My understanding of Alberta code is that CO detectors are to be installed in or within 5m of each bedroom, and must be interconnected.  So in my case to stick to code the house was built to, I need at least 2 of them, one on upper floor and one in the basement; not sure how I would interconnect stand alone ones.

23 hours ago, Otiswag1 said:

If you google— standata wireless smoke alarms— and pick the municipal affairs link it will give you everything you need to know. 14-BCV-010-InterconnectedSmokeAlarms.pdf

Cheers

Based on this, I went ahead and ordered the Nests.  The wired ones are hard to come by locally, so just got them from Best Buy online.