Fly Fusion Forums

Power drifters etc

Dangus

I don’t owe one but have rowed a couple renditions of them from fishrites, Hyde’s and Jon’s. They’re not fun to row, but it is doable. You essentially can row them to keep straight and slow down a bit. It’s just never gonna row well when you have a motor with that much weight in it. 

Power is your friend in getting across the river..

• Thanks 1

If you get one, remember to keep up the tradition of acting like a total as*hole and picking fist fights with bank anglers and driving up into the city section!!  :P

I'm sure most of the old guys on here will get that reference!!

• Like 1

I own a explorer industries 162 with the 60/40 set up as a power drifter.

It is all about weight. I have rowed the Hyde powerdrifter and a G3 powerdrifter. 

Both are pigs to row. 

I find the Explorer is pretty easy to row. I would say it feels a tad bit heavier than a traditional drifter. I think this is due to its 84” beam which displaces a lot of water. 

On the Bow we primarily jet up till we think we are ahead of floaters then row the rest of the day.

I have rowed it over water that any drift boat could go over. Same can’t be said for the Hyde or G3. 

60/40 yammy has been more than enough power. We have ran it on Bow, NSask, Red Deer, Skeena, Columbia and many others.

Go with as much horsepower as the boat can handle or you can afford. But be careful, bigger motor means more weight, harder to row.

Made in Edmonton, Dave is super easy to deal with and will build it to your needs. 

Scroll down to river boats. Pic is of our boat on Skeena. 

http://www.explorerindustries.com/index.php?area_id=1001&page_id=1001

Any other questions feel free to shoot me a PM with your number and we can chat or if you want to get out and see what it’s like, try rowing it. That could work too.

J

• Thanks 1

You must have a mini drifter as my Honda 50/35 HP weighs 203 lbs...... most drifters start around 275lbs. as has been stated they will never row like a drift boat but if you keep the weight balanced and to a minimum and have a decent set of blades they can be rowed rather easily if you have spent any amount of time on the sticks.....

Rows pretty good, but maybe I’m a bit biased.  

But you are correct. It’s not a drift boat, you wouldn’t be taking it down tight water water chutes on purpose,  But for the rivers  listed above it works great and isn’t a killer to move up river, hold a spot, maintain a line. 

What you use lose in nimbleness is made up by all the positives of having a motor. 

1) short evening trips

2) great spring water drifters can’t access due to closed launches

3) get out of dodge if weather turns

4) gas is waaayyy cheaper than a shuttle

5) for some reason you get way more friends when you own a jet

6) lake fishing

Just to name a few  

1 hour ago, bowbonehead said:

You must have a mini drifter as my Honda 50/35 HP weighs 203 lbs...... most drifters start around 275lbs. as has been stated they will never row like a drift boat but if you keep the weight balanced and to a minimum and have a decent set of blades they can be rowed rather easily if you have spent any amount of time on the sticks.....

A quick Google lied to me, you’re right that a  60/40 Yammy is 250 lbs. I’m impressed with the weight of your Honda 

and Jason, I get it. I sold my boat as I was sick of having to dedicate full days, especially when the river was fishing poorly. I’ve always got an eye for the right boat on Kijiji it just hasn’t come yet 

Unfortunately they do not offer it anymore ..... seems like everything needs to be bigger for some reason.... good luck in your search.... you might look at the clackacraft as they are also offering one now it lists at 600lbs but that may be with motor which is not over the top weight wise if so and the rocker makes a difference rowing wise.....

6 hours ago, bcubed said:

Would probably lose any value of having a fibreglass boat from the weight of it. Plus doesn't it have to be fastened to the bottom with bolts?

https://www.stealthcraftboats.com/?page_id=1273

apparently can get it put on without bolts.

sounds like hull is made out of some other plastic and Kevlar with the inside of the boat fiberglass

My Fish Rite 16' is 450-480 Lbs

My Yamaha 40/30 is 208 lbs.

Plenty of Power and Rows Fine.

I have had many boats including a Clacka for 18 Years..

No boat is perfect at everything, but mine is very good at Bow River, Mountain Lakes and also Bigger Rivers for Steelhead.

The boats that Hyde and Superdrifter  now make are Bloated , Fat Pigs. 18 ' With too many options make you need more Power,900 Lbs without gear or motor...

It is not only much heavier, it is also 8" taller to cast around out the back.

I have rowed most manufacturers Drift boats and still like the Clacka best.

I would never have a Glass Power Drifter..

I have rowed Jason's boat and I have to say its pretty sweet. I found it easy to maneuver and get across the river even slow down enough to get a few casts on a spot. I personally own a 1652 crestliner with a 60/40 merc. it has a deck in the front and back and a inboard tank. It is a beast to row but it holds a good line and once you are set to drift a bank its easy to hold. However there is NOTHING quick about making adjustments and you cant hold in the current. You would need to be really fit to row it all day. Jasons boat I could row all day. Pro my boat cost around $11,000.00 Con Jasons boat costs around $30,000. If I had the money I would go with Jasons set up no question. If I had the time to commit full days I would go with a drift boat. One day ill probably own both. Drifter for the Bow and a jet for the Bulkley.