Fly Fusion Forums

Relics on the bow

There's a pretty cool bank (or.. was, before the 2013 flood and i haven't been back) above the CPR bridge below bonnybrook, that is almost entirely made up of Calgary Brewing Company bottles.. old school riprap.. relic no, but still cool!

Down south there are eroded valley slopes that are packed with fossils. I also heard about a fossilized buffalo skull found by drifters. 

For anthro stuff, you would be more likely to find them walking to to the river than on it. The river has cut deep into time so the bed and shore were last exposed a long time before people were here. 

Also note that archeological and paleological finds are protected by the Historical Reasources Act and should be left in place. 

• Like 2

There is a big buffalo jump along the river. Some of bones exposed now are charred

There are a number of tepee rings on some hills over looking the river. They are almost grown over now

There used to be an old building across from Legacy island. Square nails in the rough cut wood.

The chuckwagons used to cross the river at the bottom of Legacy Island. I used to wade across the river there. As a kid we used to find wagon wheels in the river from time to time

There's an old steel wheeled plow on the east bank in Fish Creek park, just out of the water.  The buffalo jump is cool.  Arrowheads,  found lots over the years but never along the Bow.  Ammonites are a common find way downstream also.