Fly Fusion Forums

Ram 1500 tire recommendation anyone?

Didn't want to hijack the discussion on Tacoma tires, so thought I'd start another. Looking for tire recommendations/experiences from anyone driving a Ram 1500. My 2017 blew out a tire (stock Goodyear Wrangler SRA) with only 14,000 kms on it. Happened on the Blackstone at the worst possible place and I am extremely careful and slow when driving on roads with sharp rocks, so not sure how this happened. Looks like a sharp rock or something pushed up through the bottom tread and then it split about an inch on each side (so the tire is not repairable). Now I don't trust the other 3 tires either so looking to make a brand change to something that will resist flats the most. Never had AT tires as they are reported to be noisy, bad on gas and not the best handling... but would they be better than all-season for flats?  I drive 80% on the highway and 20% on dirt, so looking at Michelin defender LTX, but Kal tire also pointed out the Sumitomo AT (never heard of the brand but they are all-weather and also have the winter rating). Maybe the Goodyear's are known for flats and I'll be OK with the Michelins? 

Thanks for any feedback. 

Goodyear wrangler Dura tracs. Had them on my 1500 for ever and never had a problem. Not to loud on highway, great tread life, great on back roads and mud and ok in the winter. I moved up to a 2500 and now I'm running toyo open country at2 xtremes which are great so far. My brother in law has the dura tracks on his f450 and loves them. 

• Like 1

Sorry for late reply. I have open country at2 “ extreme” (insert eye roll on the name). But they’ve been great. Mileage dropped about 1 l/100 compared to the stock tissue paper tires despite being pretty wide too. Can’t recall if  they’re 305 or 315.

Got about 70k km on them and they’re about 30 percent ish. Noise is not bad.

I’d buy them again I think

On 8/15/2018 at 9:21 AM, Bron said:

Sorry for late reply. I have open country at2 “ extreme” (insert eye roll on the name). But they’ve been great. Mileage dropped about 1 l/100 compared to the stock tissue paper tires despite being pretty wide too. Can’t recall if  they’re 305 or 315.

Got about 70k km on them and they’re about 30 percent ish. Noise is not bad.

I’d buy them again I think

This would be my #2 recommendation also excellent tires.