Fly Fusion Forums

Tacoma Tire Recommendation

Hey All,

I just bought a 2002 Tacoma with low km's and I am starting to outfit it for fly fishing. Right now it has some old Goodyear Wranglers on it with very rough tread and I figure they will be pretty hard on the suspension with the amount of highway driving I will be doing. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a light truck tire that would be good on highway and capable on the trunk road & where you recommend buying tires from? I am still in school so if anyone knows any good wholesalers with good product that would be great.

Thanks!

Is it a 4x4.If so i had a 2011 4x4 & did well using open country by toyo.I have also had very good success.With Kal tires wild country year round tires.Primarily because of Not wanting to purchase 4 xtra rims & air pressure sensors.I went with the Kal Tire.Free rotates,free flat repairs ,vcellent warranty...Oh & they have the snow flake,if your a guy that heads west[bc]

Good year duratracs, I've ran them all working in the oilfield. Still behave nice on the highway and have enough meat to get you through gumbo. Otherwise as stated I'd get the toyo at 2s, or if you want something a little less agressive look at the cooper discoverer at3. Blaskin and Laine in calgary when I lived there carried coopers for hella cheap and I never had an issue there.

I am not loyal to a preticular brand and have had good success with the following.  Bridgestone Dueler Revo , Wildcountry, B.F.Goodrich All Terrain T/A K02 which are currently in use. All have the snowflake and mountain ratings so no need to make seasonal changes. They are a little noisier on the highway than others but this is the compromise I put up with for the performance off of the pavement and during the winter. The trend patterns are aggressive and will pick up and spit rocks, this is a hazard that I accept to get to those wonderful out of the way spots. Rock chips and cracked windshields are common living in this area, glass insurance is cheaper than paying out of your own pocket. The vehicle I drive is a Jeep. 

Tight Lines and Travel Safely. 

1 hour ago, fishinglibin said:

After what Costco pulled on my wife, I will never use them again. A bit of a drive, but call Rim to Rim in Okotoks for a quote.

Paul,

I agree! I've also had a not so positive exp. with Costco customer service relating to tires!!

Peter

Karen took her car in as she had a low tire that needed a patch. The Costco rep said a nail went in the side of a 1 yr old tire. and  the tire was not repairable. He wanted to sell us a new set of tire and the others were almost new. We went to Rim to Rim, and they said it was not in the side of the tire and repaired it. Their prices are extremely competitive, wide choice of tires, and great service. They are my choice now. But easy for me as I live in Okotoks. It is always worth a phone call. Always smart to do your research.

Thanks all for your input, I really appreciate it!

My Taco is a 4x4 standard and I am running 90% tread Bridgestone Blizzaks in the winter so I am not too worried about snow and ice performance. I have some old Goodyear Wranglers on the truck right now... balanced, plenty of tread life left and no cupping (as far as I can tell) but I was advised by a mechanic that I should run something less aggressive because the "rough tread on the wrangler A/T adventure is hard on the suspension" after he noticed my front & rear struts/shocks need replacing. In my opinion they are not very rough and it sounded like a sales pitch for new tires, I am fairly mechanically inclined and will be replacing the struts/shocks myself (easy on a gen 1 taco) and upon closer inspection the struts/shocks are OEM Toyota struts that the previous owner just never bothered to replace.

However, that being said, I am not opposed to replacing them if its a bit better on gas/quieter ride and I would be interested to hear what everyone thinks about running an A/T tire with newer technology vs a smoother highway tire like a Michelin defender or something?