Fly Fusion Forums

Perhaps some positive feedback wouldn't hurt...send an email!?!

Hi Everyone:

Been reading Don's thread about the changes in the Oldman, then the thread about the Castle.

Seems like most of you are enjoying more peace and quiet down south. 

So, if you think gov't policies are contributing to your increased enjoyment, why not send along an encouraging note to your MLA, Minister Phillips, and Premier Notley?

You never know, might encourage them to maintain a sense of steadfastness in ensuring the right changes are kept along the Eastern Slopes.

Shannon Phliips: AEP.Minister@gov.ab.ca,
Premier Notley: edmonton.strathcona@assembly.ab.ca , premier@gov.ab.ca,
MLA's here:

https://goo.gl/H2T5zS

• Like 5

While I agree with a lot of it, I would NEVER give Shannon Phillips a pat on the back. She has the biggest double standard of any environment minster we've ever had, and is never willing to listen to both sides of the line.

There are some major proposals up here in my neck of the woods now, which, mostly would do a lot of good, however there are a few things I think are far too extreme. We need to develop better ways to adopt integrated land use management, and a lot of her plans for this area would threaten a lot of peoples livelihoods. Hits me in the feelers for sure and I won't bite the hand that feeds.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, northfork said:

While I agree with a lot of it, I would NEVER give Shannon Phillips a pat on the back. She has the biggest double standard of any environment minster we've ever had, and is never willing to listen to both sides of the line.

There are some major proposals up here in my neck of the woods now, which, mostly would do a lot of good, however there are a few things I think are far too extreme. We need to develop better ways to adopt integrated land use management, and a lot of her plans for this area would threaten a lot of peoples livelihoods. Hits me in the feelers for sure and I won't bite the hand that feeds.

I agree, way too extreme. Although it's all good for fisherman and hikers, the hunters are getting the bone. OHV use should have exceptions, like for the purposes of assisting disabled outdoorsmen and game retrieval. Although I don't agree with all the flat-brim wearing, public land abusing OHV user's, the NDP have taken this whole thing way too far

• Like 2

4 hours ago, professori said:

And weren't these responses predictable!B)

Indeed. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Only metric the gov't uses is "if you've made both sides mad, you're probably doing something right". The UCP right is generally in a state of apoplecticness, and left feel the NDP aren't left enough and have betrayed their brethren.

Yet I'm not trying paint Northfork and TIghlines with such a broad paintbrush as my above generalizations would seem. We can all agree to disagree. I for one, still have an 80% conservative voting record over my lifetime. I didn't vote for the NDP because I thought they had the perfect platform, nor were they an ideal choice for me. But, they were better than the alternatives. Northfork, I see this totally different; hard to believe you've been in the province for more than 5 years, if you think Minister Phillips is the worst one we've ever had. Yeesh. :)

I do give them credit for taking action on certain files and paying attention, unlike the previous gov't particularly since the mid 90's. I try to look at this as practically as possible; I don't see the UCP developing policies anytime soon that appeal to me in terms of the health, education, and the environment, so, c'est la vie. It's why I've been attending Alberta Party events, and see where the wind is twisting there. 

Don, did you think a couple of years of change in gov't policies would percolate down and result in a titanic attitudinal shift in the squatters / abusers? Did you think change would happen overnight? Surely not...you've lived in this province long enough (longer than me) to ingrain a more cynical point of view than that i hope! :) Squatters and OHV crowd have had 2-3 solid generations of free-for-all, wild west mentality, it's not going to change in 36 months. Especially, when they are positioning themselves to back their boy saviour Kenney and have him save the day in 2019. All they are doing now is just riding this gov't out, and hoping the few 'wackier, lake-of-fire' types who want to be candidates don't sink their ship. 

I digress. I like the majority of changes this gov't has done, and I give them kudos. And funny enough, I suspect, for as much as they will or won't listen, they're probably more inclined to be receptive to critical feedback when it is balanced off with some recognition and encouragement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, professori said:

And weren't these responses predictable!B)

I'm sorry tell me who you voted for in the last election in Alberta? If you do not vote you cannot bitch or cast stones. Get off your horse pal. That pipeline is headed your way too.

Smitty, I just spent 30 minutes writing up a big reply of how I'm on the same team as you, the website decided to have a hiccup. I was just stating that Ms. Phillips has a double standard and does not engage ALL stakeholders when making decisions, and we will pay for that down the road. I like the positive changes we are seeing so far mostly especially with trying to get our economy off the tit, but, what, do responsible ATVers just not a have a right to public land, but us as fishermen do? There are three keywords this province needs, and that is Integrated Land Use.

I voted NDP the last election and I will this one too, even though we've too many narrow minded rednecks gobblin up Jason Kennys bring back the alberta advantage BS. The oil price is on the climb and certainly that will have everything to do with the right being re-elected, much in way the same the NDP were responsbile for killing the economy. <_<

And yes, I do believe that she is the worst we've ever had. She's almost an ecoterrorist in my eyes. You could literally put anyone else in that role and I feel there would be way better stakeholder engagement, integrated land use management strategies, and a greater Alberta for all, not just the ones with the double standard. It just goes from wild west to shut everything down. There needs to be a middle ground, we can find the balance. Most of the NDP will engage all stakeholders, Phillips and her regime will not. Send me a PM and we can chat on the phone about this in more detail if you want, I don't have the energy to type another 20 paragraph post.