Fly Fusion Forums

Cork ring replacement on rod

monger

I need some advice from you folks who build/repair rods. The cork ring in the middle of my 7wt has split and half the ring is no longer secured to the blank. What is the best approach for replacing this ring? Would it be wise to change the two adjacent cork rings as well? What kind of glue should a person use? Looking forward to some wisdom. Cheers, Rob

You can clean out the old ring, get a new ring and cut the new ring to exactly fit the area. Split the new ring in half and glue the two sections in place and tape over with electricians tape till the glue binds. If our grip has other cork problems it might be best to replace the entire Grip.

Hope this Helps

you`ll want to use epoxy as you need to make sure there is adhesion to the blank as well as the rings on either side. Personally I would probably replace the ring above and below also just in case water has gotten into the glue. As Lornce says dry fit a ring, then split using a fine toothed saw or even better a razor blade then take a round file and enlarge the inner hole to match the diameter of the blank, a little larger is fine as the epoxy will fill the gaps. Apply epoxy (I use 30 minute epoxy) liberally to all surfaces. Fit the 2 halves and use  tape or something else to hold the cork in place (I use zip ties). Probably the hardest thing about this type of repair is getting the new ring turned down to the size of the existing cork, a cork lathe ,akes quick work of it but you can do it by hand as well just takes longer.

Colin

You do have to be careful with it, because it does expand. Use a light coat, if you are nervous about it use Titebond.I  like it, because it expands. It helps fill in the gaps between the disks. I also like it because it is only one part, and I don't have to mix it. It bonds dissimilar materials, has a usable open time is water resistant, and cures quickly. Just working on a short Banty Bamboo rod using it.

Got some additional advice...the worst ring is just split but still about one-half attached to the blank. It was suggested than rather than removing it (as it is the perfect fit), just put some Gorilla glue under and around the area. Hold for a bit until tacky, then lightly spray the cork with water. The water activates the glue and the glue starts to expand and will fill in any voids. This is what I did. I wiped away excess as it bubbled up and then taped the area. I will give it a sanding tomorrow. I guess we will see how durable this fix will be. The Gorilla glue is said to expand 3x in volume so one has to be prepared for that.

Thanks to all for you who gave some advice. I may be back....