Fly Fusion Forums

Poacher on Crowsnest River at Lundbreck Falls BUSTED

This could be the same guys fishing on the Castel about three weeks ago I was told by a non fishing acquaintance that they were spotted hauling fish back to their site multiple times during there stay. These guys need to be stopped.

18 hours ago, trailhead said:

There's a reason the fish population is in decline.

Many reasons actually... fishing and especially poaching is somewhere on the list as contributory, but I'd venture a bet it isn't at the top in many of our streams.

• Like 2

On 2018-07-13 at 5:40 PM, 1961flyman said:

Bitch at your local representative. (Provincial ).

Not many feet on the ground and the territory is huge.

If it is easy to do, take pictures and as much evidence as you can produce.

If nothing else, It puts these D-Bags on Notice.

Done. Already sent in a letter. I live in AB, but BC has the right idea...aside from moose-riding people! :alien:

2nd Done, took pictures and the subjects got pretty snarky about it.

I have fished a certain corner near Bowness for a while now and have witnessed 3 (three) individuals throwing back fish when they see me start casting in the area. I have also taken pictures, but nearly every time I get close, they (poachers) are gone. We're doing good work folks, no matter how maddening it is. Keep it up everyone, and thanks bmbilon for the OP. Shocking that this person could call himself a 'fisherman' :o

15 hours ago, jgib01 said:

Many reasons actually... fishing and especially poaching is somewhere on the list as contributory, but I'd venture a bet it isn't at the top in many of our streams.

I disagree. Poaching has become rampant! There's a reason the Alberta Fish & Wildlife stopped all keeps on the Bow a few years ago. I am not familiar with the scenario in the other smaller streams, but I can just imagine the meatheads that are out there. :wacko:

-M. 

8 hours ago, BowLurker said:

I disagree. Poaching has become rampant! There's a reason the Alberta Fish & Wildlife stopped all keeps on the Bow a few years ago. I am not familiar with the scenario in the other smaller streams, but I can just imagine the meatheads that are out there. :wacko:

-M. 

For clarity, I'm not arguing against the fact that poaching is happening, that it is a significant problem, and that there are things that can and should be done via enforcement to reduce the prevalence and impact of it.  I just think there are other environmental factors that have an even greater impact than fishing and poaching in lots of our waters in AB.  Will likely just have to agree to disagree with each other on that point.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Just got a cheque in the mail from RAP today, was blown away that it was for $600. When they mentioned that they'd be sending me a reward I wasn't expecting it to be more than $50-100 tops. I was more than happy to do my part for zero reward, and I really wanted to share this with the forum in the hope of encouraging others to report poachers any time they can.

Huge thank you to the Province of Alberta and the outstanding officers and wardens working to protect it, and to everyone who helps them in their efforts!!
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Bron said:

Sweet. Just in time for fall sales.  Did you find out what he got slapped with?

Not sure if they both stuck, but I know charges were mentioned for failure to release in least harmful way as well as use of bait on restricted water-

• 5 weeks later...