Fly Fusion Forums

Sunglasses! What are you using?

Always used polarized oakleys, found they scratched too easily, and then I started using cheap replacement lenses off amazon in the same frames. They do ok and I spot fish, but I'm ready to step it up a notch, obviously you get what you pay for. I've tried mirrored, blue, and green polarized lenses. I found the blue to work best in relation to small - medium sized mountain streams.

What is everyone, including guides, using these days?

I'm going to be buying prescription lenses and frames with my health spending account

Loving the Julbo Montebianco (they are a European manufacture). Every time I meet the rep at one of our (mountain) guide events I've been trying to convince them to design a fishing line of sunglasses... Still trying.

I use the Chameleon (Cat 2 to 4 Polarized)! Love them! Just need to get them changed to a Rx now (don't want to learn how much that will be). Supposedly Julbo has the fastest polychrome technology, but who knows...

https://julbo-canada.ca/collections/mountain-sunglasses/products/montebianco

Also had the bivouac (same lens) but they were too big for my face. Sold them to a guy on the Redneck board and he said they were the best sunglasses he has ever used!

P

• Like 1

I've been using Kaenon polarized yellow silver mirror glasses for years for local fishing and steelheading. I've just replaced them with new Costa's also in polarized yellow sunrise silver mirror, and they're even better in overcast low light which seems to happen more often than not when fishing up in Skeena country in the fall. I prefer a do-it-all type lens that passes a lot of light with great contrast, and these ones fit the bill for everything except for super bright days on the flats or ocean fishing, then I bring out the blue mirror Costa's.

I've tried Oakley's, Smith, and Maui Jim's and always go back to Kaenon or Costa. The nice thing with Costa is that they really support the fishing community with more than a few token lens and frame combinations.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TightLinesJ said:

Always used polarized oakleys, found they scratched too easily

That's always going to be a problem with plastic/polycarbonate lenses. Glass won't scratch as easily but they'll be heavier and more expensive.

As for glasses themselves, I think once you hit a certain price point they're all pretty good and it just comes down to the frames that are most comfortable for you.

• Like 1

I have used Smith and Costa and found them both to be great. Probably slightly prefer my Costa just the way they fit my face. I find my ears a little sore after a full day with the smiths. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BurningChrome said:

That's always going to be a problem with plastic/polycarbonate lenses. Glass won't scratch as easily but they'll be heavier and more expensive.

As for glasses themselves, I think once you hit a certain price point they're all pretty good and it just comes down to the frames that are most comfortable for you.

Good call, didn’t even consider plastic scratching easier than glass. 

I know exactly what you mean by the Oakley lens scratching easily.  I keep on buying them.  I have owned other brands, but I have a small head, and Oakley seems to be the only ones that stick to me.  However, I cannot recommend enough the quality of Oakley bronze prescription sunglasses---they are in a different category from their retail lines.  3 years and thousands of hours of wear-time later, they are as good as the day I got them.  My wife as surprised how I would wear my sunglasses even when it started to get dark.  When she tried them, her comment was, "how can sunglasses make everything brighter?"

However, when I got my sunglasses, Smith Chromapop were not producing prescription lenses, but they are now. I feel they have some of the best contrast of non-prescription lenses.

My prescription Oakleys cost around $600.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scel said:

I know exactly what you mean by the Oakley lens scratching easily.  I keep on buying them.  I have owned other brands, but I have a small head, and Oakley seems to be the only ones that stick to me.  However, I cannot recommend enough the quality of Oakley bronze prescription sunglasses---they are in a different category from their retail lines.  3 years and thousands of hours of wear-time later, they are as good as the day I got them.  My wife as surprised how I would wear my sunglasses even when it started to get dark.  When she tried them, her comment was, "how can sunglasses make everything brighter?"

However, when I got my sunglasses, Smith Chromapop were not producing prescription lenses, but they are now. I feel they have some of the best contrast of non-prescription lenses.

My prescription Oakleys cost around $600.

Good to know i’m not the only one with a small face, I think thats why I ended up with oakleys as well

I need contrast too, having trouble finding my dry fly in low light conditions lately. Thanks 

I got rx Maui Jims through my optometrist at huge expense ($850) a few years ago.  I think the brown polarized produces a great picture for fishing and general use..  I was careless with them and they started to get pretty scratched.  I noticed that some of the scratches were caused by the arm ends touching the inside of the lens when the glasses were crushed in a soft case.  On a flyer, i sent them back to MJ through my optometrist saying "design flaw".  They sent me brand new rx lenses and frames in about 3 weeks without comment. So Im a believer (and am careful to now use a hard case)

• Like 1

I've used the high ends, but they last the same amount of time as the cheap brands for scratch resistance.  I know use Ryder's, they are a Canadian company and sweet models are $90 max so when they fall in or get lost it doesn't hurt so bad.  

• Like 1

A guy at work had a pair of ray-bans that I tried on. Their new polarized lens is called the chromance. The pair I tried on had a bronze lens, I really liked them. Seemed to really brighten things up. 

I’m going to look into Costa and then make my decision. I’m leaning towards either Oakley’s or Ray-bans  because of their availability in most Rx sunglass stores. 

For guys that have had bronze and blue lens’, do you notice much of a difference in terms of spotting fish in a clear stream or lake? Hard to form an opinion when you can’t borrow the glasses from the store

For spotting fish I'd say bronze, blue in my opinion isn't the best for looking into the water. This is a good video on selecting lens colour. It's Costa specific but will get you set on the right path regardless of manufacturer you choose. Peter, the host of the video, is extremely knowledgeable and has fished the globe for nearly everything that swims.

• Like 1

On 2018-06-29 at 7:20 AM, KnotLikely said:

For spotting fish I'd say bronze, blue in my opinion isn't the best for looking into the water. This is a good video on selecting lens colour. It's Costa specific but will get you set on the right path regardless of manufacturer you choose. Peter, the host of the video, is extremely knowledgeable and has fished the globe for nearly everything that swims.

I am now officially on a non stop hunt for that shirt. 

Edit: Got it!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm kinda of a sunglass nut (30+ pairs) I pretty much have a pair or two of everything. So far I prefer the Maui Jim's and or keanon's, I do find that Maui's and keanon's are more on the fragile side if you opt for the glass lenses (the one and only downfall in my opinion). Smith's chroma pop lenses come in a close third and I do like the Costas as well. Obviously the Maui's are very expensive but worth the investment. Keanons are a little cheaper but not by much and get the job done to the point of it being personal preferance as far as style and fitment between the 2. The Smith's are great and can be found for a little less money but personally I wouldn't bother with anything other than the chroma pop lens if fishing is your main focus for purchasing. Never had a issue with any of my Costas and there bullet proof. Just depends on how much your willing to invest. 

On 6/26/2018 at 8:44 AM, ginger said:

I got rx Maui Jims through my optometrist at huge expense ($850) a few years ago.  I think the brown polarized produces a great picture for fishing and general use..  I was careless with them and they started to get pretty scratched.  I noticed that some of the scratches were caused by the arm ends touching the inside of the lens when the glasses were crushed in a soft case.  On a flyer, i sent them back to MJ through my optometrist saying "design flaw".  They sent me brand new rx lenses and frames in about 3 weeks without comment. So Im a believer (and am careful to now use a hard case)

Ginger, i had the exact same issue with the same result.  My optometrist told me to use the cleaning cloth that came with the glasses to drape the inside of the lenses and them close them so the cloth protects the lens from the ends of the arms (I hope that make sense to you).  I have done that religiously for the past year and have had no issues.  I have prescription lenses, but declined to pay an extra $300 for progressives.  I bought Hydrotac stick-on bifocal lenses through Amazon for $25 and they are perfect.  https://www.amazon.ca/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=hydrotac+stick-on+bifocal+lenses&tag=googcana-20&index=aps&hvadid=229975937223&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15900410896369443822&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1001885&hvtargid=kwd-296945044704&ref=pd_sl_98818m0inx_e