Fly Fusion Forums

Wet flies

Been Stillwater flyfishing around stony plain since moving to Canada, I’m hankering after what I’m used to some stream fishing, looking at rivers like prairie creek, bow river etc, what I’m used to is fishing a wet fly, wading downstream casting at right angles to the flow, just wondering if this works in Canada or just stick to streamers and nymphs under an indicator

it works quite well... and doesnt get used that often so can take some of the pickier fish..

Only issue is when you have a guy who is fishing up with an indicator or dry, and a guy swinging down towards them. Neither is in the wrong, but i'd recommend chatting with folks if you're fishing around them so at least you don't get into a bit of a funky spot, in the case they assume you're gonna be fishing upstream and they're just gonna fish behind you or otherwise

Having gone through Roger Fogg's and Dave Hughes' fine books on the subject, I'm now working my way through an excellent book, Robert L. Smith's "The North Country Fly: Yorkshire's Soft Hackle Tradition." I got my signed copy from Coch-Y-Bonddu Books by way of Abebooks.com. Recommended.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A Royal Coachman winged, wet fly, can be a good fall swing pattern on the Bow, some years. Especially, when there are October Caddis around, like there are right now. A Classic grease line presentation is in order when fishing this legendary, Classic wet fly. 

• Like 1