Fly Fusion Forums

More Lakes in Banff closed this summer.

The 2018 Regs are out on paper although not yet on the internet that I can find.
Major changes in Banff National Park as a number of Lakes and flowing water streams are closed.
This is to monitor the Lakes for Whirling Disease as these waters contain BNP'S only populations of pure strain Native Westslope Cutthroat Trout.
Included on the list as closed to fishing this year are the following lakes... Sawback ,Rainbow , Mystic and Marvel.
Hopefully all the testing is concluded this year and the Lakes are back open next year but then again who knows how long this process will last.

39 minutes ago, bcubed said:

Suspect that if they're found to not have any whirling, they'd be kept shut to avoid transferring it there

You could be right but closing them won't stop possible spread by birds. Hikers could do the same. Hopefully common sense will prevail.

17 hours ago, Jayhad said:

Think of the positives, this is a great opportunity to flush those weak sauce tourist troots down the drain and stock these waters with the majestic BRUINS... Long live the germans

Sorry don't get it 

Germany was the origin of introduction of Brown Trout species to North America I believe. Bruin refers to bears... perhaps the write is mis-pronouncing 'Brown' like a Scotsman...?

No matter... I do wish we could agree to speak The Queen's English! ;)

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...