Fly Fusion Forums

The Skye Trail - Isle of Skye, Scotland

Hiking the Skye Trail was the entire reason for our trip to Ireland and the UK. All I can say is that this was one of the best backpacking trips We have ever done! EVER!! Spectacular is an understatement! The trail is broken up into 7 stages. The few photos attached are of the first 3, and cover over 56 km (with the 2nd being a whopping 28.5 km, the longest single day Deb and I have ever done). When you look at them, every ridge you see in the photos, we either came from or hiked to (Yes even those ones you see in the very distance)! They seemed to never end, but were so incredibly beautiful! 

3NT24MUh.jpg

T2vEPwth.jpg

KQHL1Fkh.jpg

UDFgLOWh.jpg

M4MhNb3h.jpg

• Like 5

15 hours ago, troutlover said:

incredible!!! any fishing along the way. What is the total KM of the trail? How many days would it take?

Jared, 

Total length is approximately 130 Km and as I mentioned 7 stages (we planned on 5 ). The longest being the 2nd. We planned a day for each stage ( which is realistic if you get through stage 2 in 1 day and are in very good shape).  We were forced to bail after stage 3 (at a planned resupply in Portree where stage 3 ends), due to weather - next 3 days were pissing rain and it wouldn’t be fun on exposed ridges with 50 Kph winds  (the rain is horizontal on Skye)! The first 3 stages are by far the best as far as scenery. Stage 5 would have put us at the base of the Cullin’s Range and we had planned on doing some scrambles but there was ZERO viz, so couldn’t even attempt anything. 

The one bivy camp we had at a small Loch had a bunch of small rising fish (presume trout). Not worth bringing gear (plus we had to be at 20 kg duecto flights with Ryanair). Beyond that, it was the most incredible ridge for the 28.5 Km and once up there you were committed as there was no relief no water, nor escape. There was 1 wind wall  built up there, but it provided no relief whatsoever!! It would have been epic in a storm. We had a hard enough time in 50 kph winds!! It, along with the boggy terrain sucked the energy out of every step!

I’ll post some of Deb’s photos when I get a chance. 

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 7:19 AM, mtnflytime said:

Very nice.  Love the little spire and ridges.

The 2nd last photo is of the Needle and Prison (area is known as the Quiraing) and the last photo is of the “Man of Storr”.  All form part of the Trotternish Ridge.