Fly Fusion Forums

Pike fishing ???

Looking to start pike fishing but dont know where to go. Obviously there's some info on the internet, but I figured I'd ask here. I've only fished for trout and steelhead until I got the chance to fish on Christina lake and had a blast. I have all the gear just need some direction. Looking for a spot somewhat close to the city (1 - 1.5 hrs travel is no big deal). Sold my drift boat last year so I'm confined to the shore. Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Feel free to send me a DM. Always up to having someone join me as well if that interests anyone. 

Thanks in advance for any info. 

Any lake that is connected to the irrigation system is going to have pike in it. Bigger the water bigger population of big pike smaller the water still lots of fish but the population of bigger ones is going to be less. Nice thing about spring is the pike haven't gone deep yet so fishing from shore is possible. Look on google earth there are lots of lakes withing 20 min of Calgary that hook up with the irrigation system that are full of pike. Look for back bays and transition lines. A friend was East of Calgary about 30min the other day and he said the pike were in 1 to 2 feet of water they had 60 to 70 pike to the boat all around 24 to 30" .

My bro and I pike fish often. Badger is a great pike lake but more that an hour and a half from Calgary so if your dead set on that Twin and Clear by Stavely are your best bets. Crawling Valley by Bassano is also an awesome location, and a mixed lake as well...you're likely to catch a few walleye as well.