Fly Fusion Forums

johiggs74

I have done this method a couple of times now, and find it works best for me.  If you have any experience tying, it is pretty easy, but I could see struggling a little if you haven't tied before.  I have tried rewelding using heat and shrink tube, but that ended up pretty disastrous.  And yes, a fly shop should be able to help you out as well, as they did with me when I first started fishing a few years back.

I actually cut the loops off my lines as soon as i buy them. If like me you dont like using up line the best way is as mentioned above by Troutlover. Just nail knot on a 20-25 lb mono line about 6-8 inches long with loop on the end of the mono. Ive had that last for several seasons at a time. 

• 2 weeks later...

On 2018-05-18 at 10:54 AM, reset said:

I actually cut the loops off my lines as soon as i buy them. If like me you dont like using up line the best way is as mentioned above by Troutlover. Just nail knot on a 20-25 lb mono line about 6-8 inches long with loop on the end of the mono. Ive had that last for several seasons at a time. 

I’m not trying to be rude, but why do you do this? Why not use the welded loop, just keep an eye on your line once in a while to make sure it’s not going to fail?

Maybe its the line ive been buying. Rio Gold.  But it seems to crack almost right away where the loop moulds into the line then it acts more like a hinge and also tends to get water past the crack into the cord and sinks to much. So i just cut it off right away and do my thing. I use a little Knot Sense to water proof the nail knot and bobs your uncle.

By making your own leaders, a single butt section lasts the life of most lines.

A nail knot c/w a overlay of tying thread to smooth out the knot with an added coating of super glue lets the knot slid through the tip top w/o effort.

regards,

Don