Fly Fusion Forums

Before this photo gets removed again...

That's no big deal I see no issue. I thought you were asking what was wrong with this photo and on first glance looked like that rainbow was passing that poplar branch. :lol:I had to double take and reread to realize you were wondering why people complained. Because they do, as other people have said everyone is too sensitive nowadays (note how I said everyone and not guys/gals, lest we forget theres more than two genders now). A lot of elitist NIMBYs out there and frankly a few on this site. I'm done.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, bigbowtrout said:

The funniest part is the fish was caught in a stocked Calgary community lake. It could have been bonked and on the BBQ so who gives a flying f about the pic. 

Coulda said the same thing about a bow river fish a couple years ago.  Nothing wrong with treating something with a little care and respect...after you put a sharp hook through its mouth, of course. 

• Like 2

I had a pic removed once too. Same reason, there was thought that the fish was on rocks and out of the water.  I had to also correct the perception. I think with certain angles and light conditions water looks nearly invisible.

• Like 1

BigFoamy, I didn't object to this photo, because you obviously know what you're doing.

It does seem, however, that the upper green fly is hooked into the fish, by the rear fin, if you look quickly. I haven't looked at the photo up close, but it kinda looks that way. *...Upon further inspection, it's clearly above the fish...* 

Maybe that's why someone had a knee-jerk reaction to a fish in super-clear water. Weird.

-M.

Just curious... was it missing a chunk of its gill plate, or is that an optical illusion? I didn't notice that the first time round, but thought this upon looking closely again due to the nature of this thread. Hoping our local pond gets stocked soon, as I'm itchin.  What I remember thinking to myself the first time I saw the pic was that I am going to try some similar ones this year, but maybe put my rod next to the fish for perspective.  Size matters, sometimes :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lorney said:

I think the way you are pulling up on the line, pulling his head out of the water is kinking his neck. Bet that fish didn’t swim straight for a week.

Not pulling on it, that fish is basically flat, simply holding the line. I was pulling on it while fighting the fish after it ate the fly. Thats how you fight and land fish, you keep your line tight while stripping line/reeling it in, while the fish fights to try and get away. Fishings a bloodsport homie. How do you do it, whistle and hope it swims into your net…come on now ;)

3 hours ago, bigbowtrout said:

The funniest part is the fish was caught in a stocked Calgary community lake. It could have been bonked and on the BBQ so who gives a flying f about the pic. 

I dont care where Im fishing or for what species, I always try to be as fish friendly as possible. Thats why it bothered me that anyone complained about it in the first place. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BowLurker said:

BigFoamy, I didn't object to this photo, because you obviously know what you're doing.

It does seem, however, that the upper green fly is hooked into the fish, by the rear fin, if you look quickly. I haven't looked at the photo up close, but it kinda looks that way. *...Upon further inspection, it's clearly above the fish...* 

Maybe that's why someone had a knee-jerk reaction to a fish in super-clear water. Weird.

-M.

Yeah def above the fish.

1 hour ago, jgib01 said:

Just curious... was it missing a chunk of its gill plate, or is that an optical illusion? I didn't notice that the first time round, but thought this upon looking closely again due to the nature of this thread. Hoping our local pond gets stocked soon, as I'm itchin.  What I remember thinking to myself the first time I saw the pic was that I am going to try some similar ones this year, but maybe put my rod next to the fish for perspective.  Size matters, sometimes :)

I thought the gill plate was damaged as well but, it was the same on both sides. 

1 hour ago, jgib01 said:

Thats what ... said :whistle:

3 hours ago, Bron said:

Coulda said the same thing about a bow river fish a couple years ago.  Nothing wrong with treating something with a little care and respect...after you put a sharp hook through its mouth, of course. 

That wasn't my point. But carry on 

12 minutes ago, bigbowtrout said:

That wasn't my point. But carry on 

If I may summarize your “point.”

You’re right. That fish should just count it’s lucky stars.  In fact, it should have been happy getting punted back into the lake, since it wasn’t going on the grill!

xoxo

-Brad Marchand

55 minutes ago, BigFoamy said:

I dont care where Im fishing or for what species, I always try to be as fish friendly as possible. Thats why it bothered me that anyone complained about it in the first place. 

My point was that people are quick to judge. So many possibilities and opinions. As an Admin I don't see an issue with the pic. But obviously another Admin acted on a complaint. It's a judgment call with no winners. Piss the OP off or piss off those who complain. The only ones happy are the local trolls. 

1 hour ago, BigFoamy said:

Not pulling on it, that fish is basically flat, simply holding the line. I was pulling on it while fighting the fish after it ate the fly. Thats how you fight and land fish, you keep your line tight while stripping line/reeling it in, while the fish fights to try and get away. Fishings a bloodsport homie. How do you do it, whistle and hope it swims into your net…come on now ;)

Haha I wasn’t serious. I got no problems with the pic. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lorney said:

Haha I wasn’t serious. I got no problems with the pic. 

Its all good man. I actually laughed out loud when I read "bet that fish didn't swim straight for a week" is that a reference form the movie "The Bad Santa" by chance? 

23 hours ago, BigFoamy said:

So is knee jerk complaining ;)

I would suggest that if one doesnt know what they're looking at, maybe inquire some info, or ignore it or just plain go away. I would appreciate a heads up or a question or some sort of reason. We've been around here for a long time and know the ins and outs of this forum. I wouldn't post anything wrong or with intent to piss anyone off…anymore :ph34r:

Does this mean that I can have any post removed that I don't like, because of my opinion?

If people only commented on things they know about or understand, 95% of the internet traffic would cease, at least the not trying to sell you something part. Take away misunderstandings and we'd be up to 99%! Ok, minus cat pictures as well. 

1 hour ago, reevesr1 said:

If people only commented on things they know about or understand, 95% of the internet traffic would cease, at least the not trying to sell you something part. Take away misunderstandings and we'd be up to 99%! Ok, minus cat pictures as well. 

Im okay with misunderstandings, disagreements and debate. 

If you misunderstand something, seek knowledge. If you disagree, go away or a have a healthy debate. No need to be tattle tailing :psssst:

i didn't complain (who has time for that) but i'm not surprised that someone did. when i first looked at the pic i though "uh oh fish on the rocks, he's going to get called out." but when i looked again i could see that it was mostly submerged except that part that is lifted out by the line. it's the details that people didn't notice. yes the water is too clear so it's hard to make out in the pic.

21 hours ago, BigFoamy said:

Lake water :) Mckenzie Lake. Caught this fish and had one nibble. Not much was happening. May go back for awhile this evening. 

On my large 24" monitor, the waterline around the fish's mouth and head, (rest of fish submerged) and the depth of the water, are plain to see. I can even see the waterline against the rock next to it, showing the fish is resting in 8"-10" of water. Maybe viewed on a smart phone screen, these details are not as easy to see?

I am a Sumsang Rubgy flip phone guy, so I dunno.  

1 hour ago, aaa said:

On my large 24" monitor, the waterline around the fish's mouth and head, (rest of fish submerged) and the depth of the water, are plain to see. I can even see the waterline against the rock next to it, showing the fish is resting in 8"-10" of water. Maybe viewed on a smart phone screen, these details are not as easy to see?

I am a Sumsang Rubgy flip phone guy, so I dunno.  

Yeah I found it very easy to see. Mind you I was there lol so I wasn't trying, I knew there was nothing wrong. 

Thats why I reposted a made a thing out of it. For these guys that complained, why? if you couldn't tell what you where looking at, why complain first? If you could tell what you where looking at, why? I guess some people really have nothing to better to do. Whats funny is not one of them has come onto this thread and openly said "I did, this is/was my reason" I personally cant believe a moderator looked at and removed it. 

Its over now and Im sure the complainers that have nothing better to do, will continue to complain. 

On 5/2/2018 at 8:09 AM, jksnijders said:

Likely the same old, ages old situation of people who have never actually caught or landed a fish on a fly rod criticizing the technique of someone who did...

I'm guessing there aren't many of those posting on this board

1 hour ago, threepwood said:

I'm guessing there aren't many of those posting on this board

regardless, theres still people here that think what they do is it and feel the need to complain about others. 

I actually have a good idea of who one of my complainers is.