Fly Fusion Forums

Anyone ever use Egg Patterns on the Bow?

As I was unsure of what T14 was (perils of being new-ish to fly fishing) thought this may help other forum members.... 

"T-14 is a very versatile material for constructing sinktips used when Skagit casting.  The ’14’ means 14 grains per foot – it’s pretty bulky and sinks pretty fast, and it’s great for turning over and then sinking the big flies that are most often used when fishing in the Skagit style.

Unfortunately pre-made T-14 tips aren’t readily available, and that means you need to cut the lengths that you want to fish and put loops on both ends.  Rio sells T-14 in bulk spools as well as in packs that combine 30 feet of T-14 with some braided mono loops to be attached to the tip.  Unless you’re going to turn your basement into a tip factory, the 30-foot packs probably work just fine." Source: Deneki.com

Yes, it does get snagged under rocks sometimes and you will loose Flys. The egg sucking leech patterns that I use are unweighted for these deep slow presentations.  A shallow angled down and across cast will help eliminate arc at the tip,  but often where the current speed is fast enough, a slightly upstream and across presentation allows enough drift time to get the fly down deep, and the faster edges of midstream current will get the fly below the tip, eliminating some, but not all of the arc in the tip. I believe it creates a more natural presentation. The key is to go slow. Let it arc out and stop. No rush to start stripping back as the fly is now in the strike zone.  Most often I just let it sit there for a bit before starting the retrieve. Leeches generally move very, very slowly.            . . 

Depending on the terrain, 12' of T-14 or T-10 may do the job just as well when the water is shallower and/or current speed is slower.    

• Like 2

Yes certainly a two hander job, but with the abundant choices of short shooting heads, pretty easy with a 12' 6 wt.

In response to the original post about fishing egg patterns on the Bow. It's important to recognize that brown and Rainbow trout eggs are dense and sticky. They don't tend to drift very far from the nest site and the trout guard them fiercely for a week or two after spawning, so its not likely trout see a lot of eggs in the drift outside of brief spawning periods. Eggs that remain unfertilized may eventually drift off as they decay. They are usually translucent,  pale white.   

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...