Fly Fusion Forums

Kitamat

I was there the first week of April 2017. Some days it was cold and rainy, and some it was T-shirt weather, and it can vary  throughout the day. I used a Taxi shuttle from the bridge to the City on my float trip. Not a lot of fish but not a lot of people around either.

23 hours ago, bigbug said:

I was there the first week of April 2017. Some days it was cold and rainy, and some it was T-shirt weather, and it can vary  throughout the day. I used a Taxi shuttle from the bridge to the City on my float trip. Not a lot of fish but not a lot of people around either.

you floated from the orange bridge to the city? That's a hell of a long float..

Asking about weather in kitimat is pretty similar to asking for weather here, except the extremes are more so. You can go from blazing hot sun in april to raining 100 mm in a day. I've caught fish on the kitimat that time of year, and have also been blanked on it.. it's steelheading. If you have the time, do it.

• Like 1

haha definitely missed that...

Whether or not it's a good idea is pretty much based on your expectations and what a good trip is. Spring steelheading can be super touchy, and if the winter/spring run is anything like last fall, this year will be a difficult one to get into fish. If you're not willing to go a week without a touch, then no, it's probably not worth it. But if you're cool with that, with the possibility of running into the odd fish or two for a week long effort, then why not?  It's steelheading, you might be a rockstar, or chump...it varys every cast

I just came back from floating the Kitimat this past weekend. No chrome on the swing but a friend was getting good action on his center pin. Not my style of fishing but he was the hero on that float. water was very low this year, don't think the fishes were moving when I was up there. Even the Skeena was low :(