Fly Fusion Forums

This always comes up about replacing the rack and pin with proper oar locks.

I haven't done this myself, but thought i'd post it here for anyone who is interested.

outcast heat weld their oar mount; not sure if there is somewhere that is capable of that here in calgary

The picture is a full size oarlock, but they are also available in a smaller size.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has done this to their frameless pontoon.

I'm guessing that with the full ring oar lock that it would have to be removed with the oars.

cheers

341-glue-on-mount-pad

241l-locking-combination-side-or-deck-mount

103-oar-lock-post

104-strongback-oar-lock

scotty oar locks.jpg

• Like 1

It would have to removed if your oars are not two pieces.The inflatable boat place off McLeod trail I can’t remember the name right now should be able to help you with everything your looking for.I have a set of those oar locks your looking at you can have if you want.

Brian at Auto Marine is as good as there is at this type of work.  Very professional and can repair almost anything inflatable boat wise.

They are located 1 block east of McLeod and approx 2 blocks north of 50 Th average..

I think the bigger issue is getting the existing oar lock off the boat. Based on conversations with Outcast, removing one of the patches that has been welded on is pretty much a recipe for disaster as you're risking the integrity of the boat if you take it off.. However could potentially add it on next to the existing patch and just avoid messing with the original.

Not sure i'd trust a 'glue-on' verses an ultrasonic weld for the most critical piece on your boat. Probably not a life ender on places like the Bow or Bulkley, but there's plenty big enough water and log jams on the kitimat to make me worry

I happened to contact Outcast just this week to ask about the Scotty glue-on-mounts for a different application and this is the response I received, FWIW

"We have glued on the scotty pads in the past, but stopped using glue once we started using our Integrated Gear System (IGS). We wanted to limit our use of glue, because glue breaks down over time and we wanted to find a more permanent solution. The adhesive we use for repairs and adding glue on accessories is call Stabond. It is a two part adhesive and are sold either by the pint or quarter pint."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sldrose said:

thanks guys;

my boat is pretty new so i'd probably persist for now but it's good to know.

I'll reassess after i break a few oars and get annoyed; 

cheers

It's typically not the oar that is the problem. it's this piece. The rotating of the oar flexes the bottom plastic, which eventually cracks and breaks.

oar_lock001w.jpg

shouldn't be too surprising, considering they're a $10 piece. Pretty nuts in my mind that the big 3 boat manufacturers all come down to this as the best design option out there.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bcubed said:

It's typically not the oar that is the problem. it's this piece. The rotating of the oar flexes the bottom plastic, which eventually cracks and breaks.

oar_lock001w.jpg

shouldn't be too surprising, considering they're a $10 piece. Pretty nuts in my mind that the big 3 boat manufacturers all come down to this as the best design option out there.

thanks for that, i thought it was the oar itself, I would been stuffed even with the spare oars.

time to buy a couple of these.

thanks bcubed

You can definitely blow an oar, but i've broken zero oars, and 3 of those. All of them just from wear overtime, rather then impact events. I carry a spare oar, a spare couple of these, a patch kit..and have only used these pieces in 5 years of use