Fly Fusion Forums

Whirling Disease

Folks,

Below is and abstract from a ACA funded report.

TESTING RAINBOW SENTINEL TROUT FROM
SOUTHERN ALBERTA RIVERS FOR
WHIRLING DISEASE
(2004)
Prepared for
Alberta Conservation Association
By:
Dr. Jacob John
John Derksen, M.Sc.
Aquculture Centre of Excellence
Lethbridge Community College
March 2005

Abstract
This report presents the results of testing larval, sentinel rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus
mykiss), exposed to lentic areas populated by T. tubifex, for the presence of the Whirling
Disease pathogen (Myxobolus cerebralis) in Southern Alberta waters, specifically, the
Crowsnest, Castle, Bow and Elbow rivers. The methodology adopted for detection of the
organism in fish, was the Single Round, Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR), designed
against the 18S rDNA gene in the organism. A total of 1545 sentinel fish, pooled in
groups of 5, were processed for DNA extraction from a total of 9 sites. Positive and
negative test controls revealed no signs of contamination or false results. Results from all
tested fish indicated no presence of the pathogen.

The takeaway from the report is that it only took from 2003 when the samples were caught to 2017 for the disease to scatter to every water shed  tested.  Parks are working Johnson Lake but by the spread, the source  or sources could have been anywhere. The rivers tested are the most heavily visited rivers in Alberta.

If you wish a copy of the full report, I can send it along [ need your real email]  or you can contact the ACA directly.

regards,

Don

9 hours ago, DonAndersen said:

The takeaway from the report is that it only took from 2003 when the samples were caught to 2017 for the disease to scatter to every water shed  tested.  Parks are working Johnson Lake but by the spread, the source  or sources could have been anywhere. The rivers tested are the most heavily visited rivers in Alberta.

Also the next disease or invasive species will spread just as quickly unless people start cleaning their boats and gear properly between water bodies.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/7/2018 at 12:53 AM, CROOKSIE said:

I don't know if I would call 14yrs a quick process at all.

That's if you assume that it was introduced into Alberta waters immediately after the last test in 2003. But yeah, let's focus on whether or not 14 years is quick because that's the real issue here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I agree there is an issue here for sure, and that fisherman can help somewhat to prevent further spread. But i also know that you can not blame fisherman entirely. These are recreational waterways with a lot of people, and wild life.

• Like 1

I do not blame fishermen, I really lay the blame on the lack of effort on behalf of Govt, travelling Angler's  or commercial guiding operations for taking absolutely no effort to prevent WD arriving .

Oh sure, others could also be the culprits however, but that doesn't minimize the contempt we should all have for those that did nothing.

As far as Angler's getting all hot and bothered about doing something NOW.. Do not you realize WD is in evey watershed from the N. Sask south.  Too little effort taken far too late.

Don

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, DonAndersen said:

I do not blame fishermen, I really lay the blame on the lack of effort on behalf of Govt, travelling Angler's  or commercial guiding operations for taking absolutely no effort to prevent WD arriving .

Oh sure, others could also be the culprits however, but that doesn't minimize the contempt we should all have for those that did nothing.

As far as Angler's getting all hot and bothered about doing something NOW.. Do not you realize WD is in evey watershed from the N. Sask south.  Too little effort taken far too late.

Don

Totally agree, well said.