Fly Fusion Forums

Straightening Line

newflyfisherman

Hi all. I am a new fisherman (as you probably guessed from my "name"). I am taking an introductory course with McLennan Fly Fishing later in the spring. In the meantime, I have  some equipment that I'm fooling around with. Hopefully some of you can help me with the odd question, even though these will be pretty basic. I wonder how to straighten line and leader to get the coils/memory out of them. Have  a good day folks. NFF

For the line you can put some drag on the reel and pull it off a bit at a time, then attach some heavy mono to the front and tie the mono to a doorknob. Pull it tight to stretch it a bit then reel it back on. For a leader just grab a couple feet of it at a time between your hands and pull or buy one of those leader straighteners.

Flyline,  if you can find something to put the welded loop around, and spool off the line, and a couple of gentle tugs (with the rod pointed straight at the anchor point) should do it.  Or use a short heavy leader/hook if necessary.

Leader/tippet,  grab a leader straightener, they're a rubber lined leather gadget with a loop for a lanyard or whatever.  Pinch the leader between, and gently pull through, being careful of knots/excess grip in the finer tippet section.  Indispensable item.

I have a homemade spool/winder thats about 12" in diameter. When i get home i windup my fly line from the reel on to the spool. At the same time running the line through a wet cloth to clean it up some. It seems to be a big enough dia. that it doesnt get curly.  I also often wind it far enough up to get all the backing on to the spool to dry it out a bit. Makes it easy to store and tangle free. The spool is made wide enough i can get several lines wound onto it. I dont have many setups so its all i need.