Fly Fusion Forums

A sobering read.

One easy change people can make is not growing mushrooms on their lawn all summer.  Drives me up the ****ing wall.

top your shitty lawn off with some soil that retains water well and you barely have to give it anything.

better yet, choose a landscape that requires even less water.

• Like 1

One easy change would be to start making people aware of these issues beginning early days in school. Otherwise I think a change of ways may well be a lost cause. The motor head culture (ORV) is a relatively modern day prime example of reckless ignorance gone awry.  

• Like 4

On 3/4/2018 at 7:58 PM, Bron said:

One easy change people can make is not growing mushrooms on their lawn all summer.  Drives me up the ****ing wall.

top your shitty lawn off with some soil that retains water well and you barely have to give it anything.

better yet, choose a landscape that requires even less water.

Wonder how much more water per acre golf courses use compared to an acre of residential lawns.

2 hours ago, BurningChrome said:

Wonder how much more water per acre golf courses use compared to an acre of residential lawns.

One could argue that At least a golf course serves a purpose.

People are just so thoughtless and lazy.  How many times have you seen someone watering their lawn a day after a downpour? Or watering their lawn a few times a week in the shoulder seasons. Or forgetting their sprinkler is on and letting it go for hours?  How about water running down their driveway/sidewalk? (which is actually a bylaw issue.) 

Another favourite is the the lawn cool down.  Watering at the hottest part of the day. 

Through the last two seasons where reservoirs were low and high water temps/ low flows persisted, Calgarians could soak their lawns at will—even as okotoks etc banned outdoor water use.

I bitched to my dad about his watering habits once.  His honest response was “waste water? What? It’ll just evaporate, make a cloud and rain.”

I really wonder how many people understand how water waste works.

Fees for water should really run as. supply/demand marketplace.  If we’re in a drought, you can have it, but you sure are going to pay for it.

Im scared of how grumpy I’m going to be as an old man. Ha

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bron said:

One could argue that At least a golf course serves a purpose.

People are just so thoughtless and lazy.  How many times have you seen someone watering their lawn a day after a downpour? Or watering their lawn a few times a week in the shoulder seasons. Or forgetting their sprinkler is on and letting it go for hours?  How about water running down their driveway/sidewalk? (which is actually a bylaw issue.) 

Another favourite is the the lawn cool down.  Watering at the hottest part of the day. 

Through the last two seasons where reservoirs were low and high water temps/ low flows persisted, Calgarians could soak their lawns at will—even as okotoks etc banned outdoor water use.

I bitched to my dad about his watering habits once.  His honest response was “waste water? What? It’ll just evaporate, make a cloud and rain.”

I really wonder how many people understand how water waste works.

Fees for water should really run as. supply/demand marketplace.  If we’re in a drought, you can have it, but you sure are going to pay for it.

Im scared of how grumpy I’m going to be as an old man. Ha

Hahaha....I feel the same way! :lol:

Let's not forget Enmax's new Shepard power plant.  The plant uses water that would otherwise have been discharged from Bonnybrook back into the river.  Now, that water is instead routed to Shepard, where the majority of it is evaporated in the plant's cooling tower.  Not a drop back into the Bow.  As such, it is a net massive withdrawal of water from the Bow.

Modern combined cycle plants like this are now being built with air cooling elsewhere.  There's no reason why Shepard couldn't have been built with air cooling, instead of this huge consumptive use of Bow River water.

The plant's cooling tower plume is a fixture on the horizon in SE Calgary; all that water going up into the sky, rather than back into our Bow.

"Fees for water should really run as. supply/demand marketplace" Don't know if this will happen in our lifetime but it will happen. Used to have next door neighbor that sprayed his driveway and sidewalk everyday. His daughter actually pointed his water waste and the reply he made was similar to your dad's. And to validate the value of water I worked with a fellow from Africa and he told me the first time he saw a tap running he automatically tried to save some in any container he could find. A place where people walk four hours to get 5 gallon container of water. Our society is totally uninformed as to the value of water.

• Like 2

The further south in Alberta ya go, the fewer water meters.

last I heard Calgary is not yet to 100%. 

In Rocky, we've had water meters for 40 years.

water valuable  - really.

and forget domestic use. It is a fraction of irrigation.

Don

• 1 month later...