Fly Fusion Forums

Good Vice for large streamers

Xplorer

Hi everyone, 

I am looking at buying a new vice. I am tying larger streamers(pike, bull trout flies)now and my old vice is not doing well(Apex).

I think a rotary vice would be good and I am leaning towards the norvise but before I spend that money I thought I should ask the guys that know!

So looking for any advice or opinions

Thanks

Lance

I've tied on a norvise for the last 10+ years. It's pretty slick. I've tied everything on it size 18 dries to 2/0 streamers. I use the fine point jaws for smaller flies, and i also have the tube system. It can get expensive, but I like it. I remember seeing Fish Tales had some of the "older systems" on sale recently? I'm not sure what the difference between the older and newer models are, but I'm sure the new ones are just as functional as the old, if not more.

2 hours ago, BadAndy said:

What's the big advantage of tube flies? I've seen the video but feel I'm missing something...

Let's you change hooks easy, lets you use a much smaller hook for a large fly (way better on the fish, as well as stays in place better) can stack them for size, fly moves away from fish so lasts longer...ive converted to about 98% of my steelhead flies to tubes as they're so much better.. 100% of my chinook flies are tubes now. they just look a little funky