Fly Fusion Forums

What Are You Tying 2018 Edition

SilverDoctor

I often go back to swinging Wet Flies in the old timy manner when the condition are right. It can be a great way to imitate  stages of a hatch of Mayflies, Caddis or small baitfish . Originally tied by a Yellowstone National Park guide Frank Beals, who supposedly would shake with anticipation on the morning of a fishing trip. Used to imitate the Isonychia (Slate Drake) or October Caddis.

MZyfv1Z.jpg

• Like 3

One experimental fly... and one that I always go back to, to rebuild my confidence after I mangle a new and/or tiny pattern.  I often use sparkle chenille for the body of my buggers, but realized I had run out; with no local fly shop any more, I'm going to have to plan a little better.

CWG37AZ.jpg

KCDCqy5.jpg

• Like 1

This is essentially the start of my third season of tying.  When I bought my first tools, I dabbled in a few things for at least a year, but never really got "serious" until late 2015.  When I see pictures of my flies up close (careful what you wish for Andy), I realize they are a long way from perfect... proportions are typically a little out, trapped hackle in my whip finish, poor body tapering, gaps in wire body wraps, etc., etc.  I blame at least part of it on being left handed :)  They look great at arms length with my presbyopic eyes, and for the most part they are catching me some fish.  I have replenished my nymphs... traditional Princes, pheasant tails and Copper Johns.  Have to finish another dozen or so buggers, then probably on to a few dozen parachute Adams and some Klinkhammers (Klinks are new for me this year).  Small stuff continues to be a struggle for me; need stronger glasses and steadier hands.  Overall, I have really come to appreciate the fine work that people like Lornce show here.  Masterful.

You flies look great jgig0e. I was lucky to have quite a number of mentors over the years including parents that tied and quite a few commercial guys that I have been blessed to know. Every time I sit down at the vice I learn or remember something. I'm far from perfect. Some of the most fantastic tiers I've known didn't strive for perfection but enjoyment. When I run lessons I push proportions and the less as more rule.

On 1/2/2018 at 1:44 PM, SilverDoctor said:

Thought I would start off the 2018 topic with a small #18 Parachute Royal Coachman.

4wzmaEU.jpg

Have you fished much in these parts with the parachute Coachman?  This looks way easier to tie to me than the standard, and if it produces well I just might try a few of these.  I have had lots of good luck with the traditional coachman, fishing brookies in a pond in the east.  I haven't used it much here, and when I have it has been with mixed results.

2 hours ago, jgib01 said:

Have you fished much in these parts with the parachute Coachman?  This looks way easier to tie to me than the standard, and if it produces well I just might try a few of these.  I have had lots of good luck with the traditional coachman, fishing brookies in a pond in the east.  I haven't used it much here, and when I have it has been with mixed results.

I carry both Parachute and Traditional. They will both work at different times and conditions.