Fly Fusion Forums

What Are You Tying 2018 Edition

SilverDoctor

31 minutes ago, BurningChrome said:

Brostaff beetles and Dee's boatman.

39490160740_b6b9504824_c.jpg

40590776254_1edb4e8069_c.jpg

I have to get on some Boatmen tying. Is that a pattern you've used before...effective? Looks great! Those beetles also look cool. Ive never used a beetle. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BigFoamy said:

I have to get on some Boatmen tying. Is that a pattern you've used before...effective? Looks great! Those beetles also look cool. Ive never used a beetle. 

That boatman is an old Idylwilde pattern created by long time Bow river guide Dee Chatani, so yeah it works pretty decent. You can still find it in the bins in some Calgary shops.

I do need your advice, Bron.

Securing a conehead is fun..but one might take that last bit of wrap and maybe make it, or waste some over-tying Zonkers.

Any tips on securing a conehead when just a bit short would be appreciated.. if it's convenient.

-M.

9 hours ago, BowLurker said:

I do need your advice, Bron.

Securing a conehead is fun..but one might take that last bit of wrap and maybe make it, or waste some over-tying Zonkers.

Any tips on securing a conehead when just a bit short would be appreciated.. if it's convenient.

-M.

Some schlappen, dubbing or chenille would work. I tend to use ice dub. Stack the fibers then tie in at the mid point (or however long you want it) and fold/brush it back over.  Just Make sure you have a good thread base so whatever you do tie there, sticks after. It’s annoying half way through your day to find your cone pushed halfway down the shank of your hook.

1 hour ago, Bron said:

Some schlappen, dubbing or chenille would work. I tend to use ice dub. Stack the fibers then tie in at the mid point (or however long you want it) and fold/brush it back over.  Just Make sure you have a good thread base so whatever you do tie there, sticks after. It’s annoying half way through your day to find your cone pushed halfway down the shank of your hook.

Simi seal or STS trilobal work nice too. With the longer fibers I usually split the thread and wrap it in that way. Another option is to put a few wraps of lead behind the cone and either super-glue it to the hook or build up a thread ramp right behind it to keep it in place so then you don't have to build up a bunch of thread right behind the cone. Depends how heavy you want it.

On 2018-04-30 at 10:12 AM, BurningChrome said:

Simi seal or STS trilobal work nice too. With the longer fibers I usually split the thread and wrap it in that way. Another option is to put a few wraps of lead behind the cone and either super-glue it to the hook or build up a thread ramp right behind it to keep it in place so then you don't have to build up a bunch of thread right behind the cone. Depends how heavy you want it.

Thanks Bron and BurningChrome. I do use a lead-free wire (!) if available, otherwise a lead wire. Learned about the wire push into the conehead from a veteran online gentleman who posts almost every week. :) Thankfully, my conehead hasn't migrated too far into the shank, just a thing to have a loose conehead after tying...you know how it goes. Cheers!

-M.