Fly Fusion Forums

What Are You Tying 2018 Edition

SilverDoctor

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-02-22 at 1:30 PM, jgib01 said:

Never a dull moment with you around!  I expect to see a recipe, or even better yet, a flyfishy tutorial video... that would be awesome!

Thanks, I mite to that ! Great sport tying up a fly for sharing . One coming ...

On 2018-02-23 at 7:38 PM, flyfishy said:

Thanks, I mite to that ! Great sport tying up a fly for sharing . One coming ...

K had trouble sending the how to vid.

sent it to instergram #flyfusionmag can have a look there! Thanks hope this helps.

I have had more hits with a sparser parachute hackle.  been trying to get by with max of 3 turns.  but it feels so easy to put 5, or maybe 6 turns in.  I am susceptible to the more is better trap.

My unconfirmed suspicion is that it hangs lower in the film.  I'll be sticking with that for the time being.

The Klink seems to look better with a thin tight body (not unique in my view, but thats off topic) but I havent noticed any increase in hits with the tapered quill type bodies.  And since the dubbing is easier, I tend to go that way.

Where I fish, yours will catch.

you sure it’s just not spacing between the wraps? Looks like maybe 4 wraps to me.  You Can also condense things by splitting the post in two and pulling downwards. 

I wouldn’t worry about how fat it is.  That body would pass as an emergent brown drake, Since they’re fairly big bug and can be light yellow like that.

Thanks for the feedback. What sizes do you guys usually shoot for with your Klinkhammers?
The thing that throws me off is the Daiich designated klinkhammer hooks are so much longer than regular curved body hooks. Such that a #16 klinkhammer is easily a size 12 on a regular curved hook.

3 hours ago, RossMurphy said:

Thanks for the feedback. What sizes do you guys usually shoot for with your Klinkhammers?
The thing that throws me off is the Daiich designated klinkhammer hooks are so much longer than regular curved body hooks. Such that a #16 klinkhammer is easily a size 12 on a regular curved hook.

The last few years I have been tying on 2xl nymph hooks, I put a bend about 1/3  from the eye, most are 12 to 18, and I usually fish the 14 and 16.

This pic is a bit closer to 1/4 from the eye, but you get the idea.  I put the para post right at the bend.

YHaiiVd.jpg

4 hours ago, pokerfish said:

The last few years I have been tying on 2xl nymph hooks, I put a bend about 1/3  from the eye, most are 12 to 18, and I usually fish the 14 and 16.

This pic is a bit closer to 1/4 from the eye, but you get the idea.  I put the para post right at the bend.

So are you just tying a general pattern or trying to match something specific with your sizes?

mostly general pattern.  My skill level is not so sophisticated that I tie to match anything other than a type.  I also fish a lot of small water, and cutties are opportunistic feeders.  bigger waters, I look for stupid fish.