Fly Fusion Forums

Salt water wading footwear

Dangus

45 minutes ago, bcubed said:

The orvis zippered booties are good. Biggest thing is wearing a long sock to keep sand out... that’s what kills ya. My feet were toast after using wading sandals and having rocks and coral work there way in

A neoprene sock or cotton sock?

I've been pretty intensely researching this stuff so I'll throw in my $0.02

Booties: best for sand, grass, sporadic coral flats. Do not use on coral reefs or shell bed flats (sole is too thin and will wear out in one trip). Great for the "permit at 100ft, throw your booties on and jump out" shots.
Patagonia booties - v nice boots, but fit narrower, tighter up top and lets less gets in, sole thinner than simms
Simms booties - wider, best fit for my foot, thick sole but ankle is more loose than the patagonias which would allow material to get in. would wear socks inside these if I had them

Shoes: Only for coral or sharp bottom wading. not recommended for boat to flats transitions. OK for all day sand flat wading but get heavy.

Given all of this.. I had low top water shoes from previous trips and I bought MEC neoprene sock booties and wore that combo in Belize/Mex. Worked fantastic and didn't allow any sand in the high top neoprenes. It was a good temporary fix, but I'll need better footwear for the next trip

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2017 at 11:57 AM, bcubed said:

Just cheapo cotton 6pack or whatever it is from Walmart. Huck em at the end of the trip. 

I always gave them to the guides in some places. They were all over them generally, especially in countries praised by our liberal imbecile PM, where such things are seen as a luxury.

On 12/25/2017 at 9:56 PM, RedBeard said:

I've been pretty intensely researching this stuff so I'll throw in my $0.02

Booties: best for sand, grass, sporadic coral flats. Do not use on coral reefs or shell bed flats (sole is too thin and will wear out in one trip). Great for the "permit at 100ft, throw your booties on and jump out" shots.
Patagonia booties - v nice boots, but fit narrower, tighter up top and lets less gets in, sole thinner than simms
Simms booties - wider, best fit for my foot, thick sole but ankle is more loose than the patagonias which would allow material to get in. would wear socks inside these if I had them

Shoes: Only for coral or sharp bottom wading. not recommended for boat to flats transitions. OK for all day sand flat wading but get heavy.

Given all of this.. I had low top water shoes from previous trips and I bought MEC neoprene sock booties and wore that combo in Belize/Mex. Worked fantastic and didn't allow any sand in the high top neoprenes. It was a good temporary fix, but I'll need better footwear for the next trip

Simms flats boots, I bought a set and have used on 5 different trips. With the previously mentioned cheap athletic socks/neoprenes (Simms variety) and high top/ankle supporting boots never had an issue..  I've found quicksand holes on a Cuban flat that looked like a parking lot, and went right to my thigh in 1 step, or soft sand/uneven bottom, without a rolled ankle. Also used on CXI bommies for GT's that was covered in staghorn coral (and which didn't even faze the barefooted guides, which was something to see) to the sharp bottom we found in Hawaii. They're solid and worth every penny IMO. And never had an issue with sand.

• Thanks 1

I use the Keen water sandles with Vincere sand socks. This is a flexible combination to walk the beaches and rocks with ease. Sometimes in Mexico with an incoming wave, sand can get lodged inbetween the sock and the shoe but by turning the other way most is washed out. The sock keeps 99% of the sand off your skin. Before I waded barefoot and used old runners. The sand will wear off half of your skin in one day and using the runners was a little better but you have to throw them away after. Sand gets in every where and is impossible to wash out. Some guys just use the socks on sand beaches but I love venturing out on the rocky points looking for the perfect spot to cast. So the shoes give added traction and stiffness for scaling the odd cliff and rock hopping which I always end up doing.

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/24/2017 at 7:28 PM, bcubed said:

The orvis zippered booties are good. Biggest thing is wearing a long sock to keep sand out... that’s what kills ya. My feet were toast after using wading sandals and having rocks and coral work there way in

How do the Orvis ones fit for width?  I have a pretty wide foot, to the point of having difficulty finding regular shoes at times.  4E runners are my go to these days.

On 12/25/2017 at 9:56 PM, RedBeard said:

Pataguccis are out for sure for me, but maybe the Simms.   Who in Cowtown carries these?  Might be able to make it up there before our trip at Easter, and I would like to try something on before I buy.

7 minutes ago, jgib01 said:

How do the Orvis ones fit for width?  I have a pretty wide foot, to the point of having difficulty finding regular shoes at times.  4E runners are my go to these days.

Yikes, 4E might be a bit much. Simms typically have the widest

1 hour ago, jgib01 said:

Pataguccis are out for sure for me, but maybe the Simms.   Who in Cowtown carries these?  Might be able to make it up there before our trip at Easter, and I would like to try something on before I buy.

I picked up a pair at troutfitters

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bcubed said:

Yikes, 4E might be a bit much. Simms typically have the widest

Ya, my Slavic feet have gotten even wider and longer these last few years.  Apparently that's a thing that starts for some people in their 40's... I had no idea. Some days I feel a little like I'm wearing clown shoes.

• 3 weeks later...

So much for the budget.  Tried a few different ones on today and yesterday, and the only ones that worked for me were the Simms Intruders.  The Simms flats booties were too narrow, the Patagonia's were ridiculously narrow, and I just didn't find the Simms sneakers were comfortable at all.  I probably should have these last me a lifetime, and provide a good excuse for me to start saltwater fishing.