Fly Fusion Forums

Bamboo rod design

Guys/gals,

For a perhaps 25 years I've constructed a bamboo fly rod as a fund raiser for Trout Limited. For the past years the rod has been donated to the Edmonton Trout Unlimited Chapter. The funds are part of the Lloyd Shea project that is presently working on Arctic  Grayling.
The rod for the 2018 fund raiser is already completed and delivered. It is a 7'9" 5 wt. rod featuring gold coloured fittings. Raffle tickets for the rod will be available soon.

So, here is your opportunity to design a rod you would like to win.

Some things to consider:
Length between 6>8'
Line weight between 2>6 
Handle shape
Thread wraps
Hook keeper style

Some of the things that are "locked in" already include. Oven tempering temp & time, glues, varnish, ferrules and bamboo selection. 

I'm going to split the bamboo out for the Rod soon.

Regards,

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Folks,

Thank you to all those that answered my query for what rod they would like for the 2019 raffle. There were those that wanted a 6>7' two weight rod and others who would like a 7/9" 5 wt. rod.

Well,-  - - - - - - I pondered your responses for some time and finally concluded that the two weight rod was a specialized piece of equipment and would appeal to few. The 7'9" 5 wt. is a great suggestion however there is one of them heading into the 2018 raffle so I considered it best not to "crowd" the field.

During my pondering it occurred to me that most of the tickets would be purchased in the Edmonton area as that is where the raffle is held. Realizing that a longer and heavier line weight would be more useful for the fishing encountered in this area, I am going to build a 8'0" 6 wt. rod.

The taper for the 8'0" 6 weight rod will not be found on any taper archive. This taper I use for my personal rod used on the Crowsnest or Oldman Rivers when the flies are larger - stones and green drakes or the wind is up but not blowing strong enough to cause a beer break. Also, the rod performs well during the swimmer hatches.

The rod is being split out today.

PS: there are or will be those in Calgary wondering why the rod is offered to Edmonton and not in Calgary. With the "ME TOO" attitude that exists in Alberta, the question needs answered. Originally, the rod  donation was part of the Central Alberta Chapters auctions. After the market was saturated, the rod appeared in the Calgary Dinner Auction for a number of years. For the past 5 or so years, the rod has made it's way to Edmonton.

regards,

Don

• Like 1