Fly Fusion Forums

Sam Livingston Hatchery

BrianR

Hi All; I watched an interview on CTV Calgary .About the rebuild/update of our hatchery.They are all overdue this.But just  SLH,was mentioned.So they are moving out all the fish,some lakes will get 2 stockings.My question & hopefully someone may be able to answer.Stocking for 2018,not going to happen ?.Are they going to purchase stock from other hatcheries,hopefully disease free.thks. Brian

• Like 1

I meant to ask some questions about the impact of whirling on the stocking program when I was at Allison Creek just before the Labour Day weekend, but unfortunately no one was around at the time.  They would have likely had some info too on the impact of the Bow refurbishment by that time, so unfortunate I wasn't a little more persistent in trying to find someone in the know.  Looking at the October stocking report, they seem to be going great guns this fall; makes sense why now. Perhaps that's why we got some cutties in one of our local ponds for the first time I'm aware of.

17 hours ago, murray said:

Very good questions Brian, don't know the answers but I am interested.  Are there any hatchery so elsewhere in the province?

Murray; There IS Allison,Raven,Cold lk. & SLH.Raven is in terrible shape[Brood stk stn],Allison is a hatchery[generally looks after P&T,down s.w ab].Cold Lk. [Hatchery,they do THE AF3N & TIGERS.SLH grows most of the trout for the prov. These are guesstamits,on my behave..

• Like 1

Just heard there was damage to Allison with the fire that is happening in the Crowsnest Pass.  The media report is somewhat vague, mentioning that "the local fish hatchery has been damaged".  I had no idea the fire was that far north, as I thought it originated in the Sentinel Industrial area.  Anyone else have any more definitive info than this?  If it is shut down too things could get very interesting for the stocking program, in the South especially.