Fly Fusion Forums

Wading jacket ?

Taco

Is there such an animal as a decent breathable friggin' wading/guide jacket for under 300 bucks??  I'll be damned if I gonna pay more for one than I would for a decent fly reel

I'm not much help here, I have a few wading jackets accumulated now. 

Hands down my best is the Patagonia . Wrists cinch up real tight, if it rains for day after day your arms stay dry, can plunge wrist in to release fish, good hood that cover S ball cap, easy to run zippers. 

Other than color has faded I'm most impressed is that there is no signs of wear on any of the seems, dbl taped,.

back in the day I think this was almost $500.

after a few failures on trips with  old oilskins and lighter rain jackets I spent the dough.

after probably 12 yrs I'm over it and still wearing the jacket.

13 hours ago, Roast said:

Patagonia has their top of the line wading jackets on clearance now. $317 with all the bells and whistles 

http://www.patagonia.ca/product/sst-jacket-for-fly-fishing/81863.html?dwvar_81863_color=TRLG&cgid=web-specials#tile-8=&prefn1=sport&prefv1=fly-fishing&start=1&sz=24

OK what the ..................??? The regular price in the above link is only $60 higher than the price for men's SST jackets in the link below.

http://www.patagonia.ca/product/mens-sst-fishing-jacket/81864.html?dwvar_81864_color=FGE&cgid=sport-fly-fishing-mens-jackets-vests#tile-9=&start=1&sz=24

Still a decent price but..............................................

8 minutes ago, Taco said:

OK what the ..................??? The regular price in the above link is only $60 higher than the price for men's SST jackets in the link below.

http://www.patagonia.ca/product/mens-sst-fishing-jacket/81864.html?dwvar_81864_color=FGE&cgid=sport-fly-fishing-mens-jackets-vests#tile-9=&start=1&sz=24

Looks like they streamlined it a bit taking away some of the features. I like the older style...

14 hours ago, Taco said:

Given that they have all the sizes left at the end of the season. I am guessing they are trying to reign in the price a bit to make it more appealing. Both look like nice jackets but I would buy the older one.

14 hours ago, ÜberFly said:

Looks like they streamlined it a bit taking away some of the features. I like the older style...

The new ones are definitely a nicer looking jacket, little less old-man-y..Taco should be all over the older one!

That's the main difference, new design and lower price. No matter what, if you're wearing a wading jacket, you're gonna be looking rather dorky.

Probably trying to steal a bit of simms market share. You probably wont find a better deal then the SST on sale, and if anything ever happens to it, Patagonia will take care of you..

• Like 1