Fly Fusion Forums

Am I surprised?

In spite of making thier living from our resources, a friend fishing here and there in SE BC and SW AB was guided a number of times and was never asked by any of the guides to clean his gear before entering a new watershed.

Par for the course or just bad guides?

Don

Par for the course. If they were actually required to have a guide license in AB they could be required to follow decontamination protocols (I have to when applying for a Fish Research License)... I'd be curious how many of the guides even spray down their stuff when moving through to other watercourses. Does the AOGAA require it of them members, or being that it's a voluntary org, they don't bother?

13 hours ago, toolman said:

Why should this be a fishing guides responsibility? It's the anglers responsibility. Not a guides, nor a fly shop owner or wading boor manufacturer or anyone else's, in my opinion.

If the guide wants to protect the fisheries they use to make their living then it's their responsibility just like it's their responsibility to make sure the angler follows the regulations for each water body.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BurningChrome said:

If the guide wants to protect the fisheries they use to make their living then it's their responsibility just like it's their responsibility to make sure the angler follows the regulations for each water body.

I would agree that the compulsion for guides to be stewards of the resource is significant.  They should be promoting adherence to the regs, invasive species risk reduction, and good fish handling techniques.  Part of their role is not only education on how to get fish into the boat, but also educating their clients to do their part to ensure those fish are there the next year when that client (and others) returns.

• Like 1

While the ultimate onus is on the individual angler, it's in the best interest of everyone who benefits from the resource - anglers, guides, outfitters, fly shops, etc. - to convey the message to other anglers to clean their gear. Personally, I don't get a lot of people from out of town, out of province, or out of country calling me up for info when they come here. I'll bet fly shops, outfitters, and guides get those calls though. That's why a lot of the fly shops have signs up about cleaning your gear, reg changes, and emergency closures.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, toolman said:

I'm not surprised that this thread is going to be a "Soap box derby" with folks lining up to pontificate to the perceived ignorant  guides, their virtuous wisdom. NEXT....

So using that logic, then this... Physicians, who largely exist to treat illness and injury have no business speaking to the public about promotion of health and wellness.  Or how about Municipalities who are in the business of "selling" us water have no business promoting water conservation and pollution reduction... why would they care what happens downstream? 

If people (guides, shop owners, equipment manufacturers) who make their livelihood from the resource (fish and water) aren't interested in protection and stewardship of the resource, then who on earth would or should be?

Well, most  guides I know are avid conservationists and make efforts  to promote best practices.

However, it's important to direct the education at all anglers and avoid attempting to lay blame and responsibilities on guides or others in the angling business for the actions of anglers.  Guides are easy targets to blame, but doing so really accomplishes very little. 

Toolman, 

Most Angler's visiting  wouldn't have a clue as to the regulations and concerns of the local fishery. To expect them to educate themselves when they apparently hire knowledgable Angler's to guide them is a complete cop out.

The attitude of the fly shop owner in Colaman reflects what my friend experienced. When I asked him several years ago if he was going to caution Angler's booking him from outta Alberta about using rubber rather than felt soles his response was " I can't ask my clients to use rubber soles".

My response " keep the suckers outta my country". 

I left his business never to return although I see the same guy spreading his crap up my way.

Don

• Like 1

The vast majority of anglers moving from one water body to the next, are not guided. And the vast majority are local Alberta residents. They fish the Bow one outing, next time they hit the Livingston or Highwood. Then maybe an outing at Police Outpost or up to the little Red. Sounds like a lot of anglers we all know. I bet the vast majority of these local anglers do not clean their wading gear, EVER.

Sure, the guides could be more diligent in spreading the information as they are often in the unique position to do so., But ultimately, the kid working at the Walmart fishing  /camping dept. selling licences and fishing tackle, who makes some of his income from the fishery, is no more responsible for the actions of anglers, than Santa Claus.  

Requiring guides to follow '"decontamination protocols" to clean their clients equipment is not likely going to happen.  

Maybe a province wide ban on the use of felt soled wading boots would be an effective conservation action .

How about an "information fact sheet" issued with the purchase of all Sport Angling Licenses. 

Bashing a small fly shop /guide service or the guiding industry on a cheesy flyfishing forum probably has little conservation value.  Other than the dialogue and awareness to the issue this discussion has hopefully created, which is the transfer of invasive species/organisms between watersheds. 

That said Don, thanks for bringing the issue up and for your many decades of service to fisheries conservation efforts. Worthy of many accolades and thanks,...

Tool,man,

guides are supposed to know. The kids at Walmart - nope.

Out of country Angler's are mostly guided and arrive from where WD and other ugly invasives live. We should have made  Angler's arriving from countries where diseases originated clean their  gear.

But it is too late now. WD is not leaving and wil effect our fishery profoundly.

My last trip to Montana many years ago  is when we found out the WD was in the Missouri. Washed down out boats and equipment with bleach in the Craig campground and I never went back.

WD nearly killed sport fishing in the Yellowstone area. Fly shops dropped from 13 to 2. They didn't know about WD - we did and did nothing.

Don

• Like 3

12 hours ago, toolman said:

Requiring guides to follow '"decontamination protocols" to clean their clients equipment is not likely going to happen.  

License the guides, and require it as part of their license agreement.  It's not like it takes much effort. Guides could easily have a bucket of Diluted QUAT Ammonium or bleach that guys can throw their boots and waders in for  the 5 minutes that they're inside getting flies or license

• Like 1