Fly Fusion Forums

Wholesale Sports Closing

I supported WSS, but I think the Edm market may have been oversaturated. We have/had

Army and Navy

Cabelas

Campers Village

Canadian Tire

M.E.C

The Fishing Center

The Fishin Hole

WSS

+ as others have said, the on-line shopping prolly took a bite out of each of the above retailers. We've lost the Fishing Center and with the closing of WSS, you would think it would mean more market share between the remaining, but alas, Bass Pro is coming to town. I hope the Fishin Hole can survive. I've been going there since I was a kid.

For camping and clothing, ...sure.

For a specialty fly shop, I'd say we are under-saturated. We don't even have a specialty fly shop!!

Yeah, I know, Edmonton can't / won't support one. I get it.

But we're down to Cabelas and TFH for fly fishing stuff. Not enough, imho. (No, I don't count Crappy Tire)

Smitty

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Update:

I hope this isn't breaking the rules, or offending sponsors - I assume this forum / website has nothing from Edmonton anyways, so this really wouldn't be a conflict, from a competition point of view...

...but Edmonton finally has a fly shop! https://www.facebook.com/ReidsFlyShop.YEG/

Not since Reg Denny's have we had a singularly focused shop for flyfishing. As I have said on many forums, I never thought Edmonton would support one. But really, with WSS gone, and Cabelas really not filling the void, it was time for some new blood (though I like the FIshin Hole). I'll cross my fingers in the hopes it will survive. The local fly-fishing community here I think is finally strong and big enough to support one shop. 

Hopefully Reid's will get a new website soon:  http://reids-fly-shop-fishing-store.business.site/

Went a few weeks ago for their soft opening. Looks good! Staff is friendly and experienced (Clay is from WSS, not sure where Reid is from, if anyplace). Clearly, like many a fly shop, the business model is the same; justify your slightly higher prices with outstanding customer service. Hope this shop makes it!

Anyways, so glad I could eat crow on a prediction like the one I made. 

So, if any of you southerners are in Edmonchuk, there is a new place to go. The primitive website does have directions. It's in the west end.

Smitty

• Like 2