Fly Fusion Forums

Waterton Evacuated

Just heard that they have issued an evacuation order for Waterton National Park. They have been under alert for several days, so perhaps either the Kenow fire has jumped into the park, or they are just being precautionary in anticipation of the winds in the forecast.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/waterton/securite-safety/feu-fire-kenow

Looks like as of this morning the fire is incredibly close to the townsite, with images of fire on Mt. Crandell and Bear's Hump. On the north end, the fire has left the park, and now there are states of emergency declared for M.D. of Pincher & County of Cardston. Evacuations of portions of those areas and a portion of the Blood Reserve have occurred (closest to Waterton; only portions evacuated, not the entire MD/County as some news outlets are leading people to believe this morning). Best source of info on the evacuations is www.emergencyalert.alberta.ca, and there is some decent coverage on the Calgary Herald webpage. This image from the wee hours of last night https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJgiR0RVoAAESwt.jpg

Waterton Park from a distance of about 20km as of 8am this morning. A north easterly wind was slowly pushing in this morning when I got there. The bottom picture is Waterton Colony. I was supposed to be finishing a 2 day job there today but the colony was mostly evacuated at 1 am the morning. My equipment is still sitting there in the larger building on the left.

jq09sa.jpg

WvKGO1.jpg

DeF72P.jpg

4Dut6y.jpg

dFdvVR.jpg

I9fL6s.jpg

uyW2ec.jpg

JdkLwn.jpg

5wgfAt.jpg

E5XPDk.jpg

It sounds as though firefighters have some better conditions today, but the fire moved quickly last night. A few accounts online suggest the townsite avoided a major hit, but the information centre burnt down. The Premier is going to give an update shortly - we should know more soon.