Fly Fusion Forums

Great White Sturgeon Adventure

jpinkster

Okay, full disclosure...this trip had nothing to do with fly fishing.

Went out with a great group of friends for two days on the Fraser River. Great guide, great conditions and great fish. It sounds as though we were a bit early for when the bite really goes off, but we got into some great fish regardless. The best fish of the trip was an 8 foot monster that weighed in at around 290lbs. I had one shake me lose that was likely around the same range. Fishing for white sturgeon is an experience - I will absolutely be back!

20994074_10154546784071261_8221760067089

20915509_10154546784031261_8752504755082

20915475_10154546784256261_7233703832700

20914401_10154547175576261_5513311474557

• Like 4

great to see the little guy.

Couldn't agree more. Sturgeon can live to be 150 years or more, so it's really hard to get a good sense of how effective conservation efforts are going. The fish that are being targeted by sportsmen are almost all 80 years + - well before many conservation efforts started. An abundance of smaller fish would suggest that we are doing something right!

• Like 2

You're about a month early before "lights out" fishing (the pinks usually supercharge the bite) but doesn't seem like that hampered your party's ability to catch fish! Absolutely 100% worth the money just to watch one of those big ones tail walk. I will go back many times. Anyone who is tossing the idea around, I say GO!

Did the guide show you the side imaging on the sonar while taxiing to the top of a big hole? Pretty cool to see all the fish laying on bottom and the good guides can even tell you how big they are! Sure gets a guy aroused being told that while hearing the chain winch let the anchor go!!

Did the guide show you the side imaging on the sonar while taxiing to the top of a big hole? Pretty cool to see all the fish laying on bottom and the good guides can even tell you how big they are! Sure gets a guy aroused being told that while hearing the chain winch let the anchor go!!

He sure did! We went through a few runs where the guide marked 15-20 sturgeon.

• Like 1